No More Tears Production tone

HugoLC

I have been looking for information about no more tears, the production, and mixing. But there is very very little technical information that I can find...
Anybody knows what gear was used , looking for reverb , chorus or anything infos in fact

Lution

Tears for Fears?

tumblr_mmjxx9NJDQ1spucdvo1_400.gifv

what-ozzy.gif

B Money

I remember reading some audiophile magazine review of 'No More Tears' it said something like "this album is so compressed, you'll swear that your speakers are wearing concrete baffles."
I don't know what that means exactly, but I got the point.

HugoLC

I remember reading some audiophile magazine review of 'No More Tears' it said something like "this album is so compressed, you'll swear that your speakers are wearing concrete baffles."
I don't know what that means exactly, but I got the point.
Maybe , I don't know I just love the sound of that album
Probably not up to the tastes of audiophile but put on the song Desire and tell me it's not amazing haha

NewWorldMan

Silver Supporting Member
I’m just a production nerd that made notes about albums I like from over the years. Basic things I remember right off:

The guitar setup a pair of Marshall JCM 800 heads - a 100W and a 50W - into what they deemed a “stock 800 cab,” so presumably with G12T-75s at the time. Zakk used the typical LP with EMG 81/85 pickups and pushed the front end with a BOSS SD-1.

There were 4 tracks of rhythm on the album and they were cut with whichever amp was sounding better at that moment - e.g., plug into the 100W and try it, if it wasn’t sounding good enough that day, swap to the 50W etc. Only 1 cab was used on the recording, all guitars went through it.

No effects were printed, other than the wah and SD-1. The chorusing you hear came from a Yamaha SPX-90 that was added in the mix.

The original masters were deemed to sound better by the production team. The follow-up remaster in the earlier 2000s by Sterling Sound was pretty spiked in the upper mids and made it harsh by comparison. They felt it was overly compressed and killed all the dynamics of the original and 4khz was boosted so far it was like a dagger in the ear.

That’s all I’ve got from memory. I’ll dig through notes the next time I’m on the laptop and post more.

HugoLC

I’m just a production nerd that made notes about albums I like from over the years. Basic things I remember right off:

The guitar setup a pair of Marshall JCM 800 heads - a 100W and a 50W - into what they deemed a “stock 800 cab,” so presumably with G12T-75s at the time. Zakk used the typical LP with EMG 81/85 pickups and pushed the front end with a BOSS SD-1.

There were 4 tracks of rhythm on the album and they were cut with whichever amp was sounding better at that moment - e.g., plug into the 100W and try it, if it wasn’t sounding good enough that day, swap to the 50W etc. Only 1 cab was used on the recording, all guitars went through it.

No effects were printed, other than the wah and SD-1. The chorusing you hear came from a Yamaha SPX-90 that was added in the mix.

The original masters were deemed to sound better by the production team. The follow-up remaster in the earlier 2000s by Sterling Sound was pretty spiked in the upper mids and made it harsh by comparison. They felt it was overly compressed and killed all the dynamics of the original and 4khz was boosted so far it was like a dagger in the ear.

That’s all I’ve got from memory. I’ll dig through notes the next time I’m on the laptop and post more.
That's amazing thank you !

Reactions: ADF

Dang..... you might be considered a national treasure. How much information do you have?

Top Bottom