No outlet for electric guitars, suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dcarroll, Feb 18, 2012.

1. dcarroll

dcarroll Member

Hi All,

Gigs with the band have stopped and I don't see us playing more in the next year as I'm moving.

Can't play the amp up past conversation volume in my place

So the electrics are just sitting there! Unless I'm playing with a band its hard to get a good sound out of them by myself at whisper volume.

I've been playing more acoustic but its hard to get rid of the idea of playing electric, even though its not practical.

I guess part of it is getting rid of the rock and roll image that is part of our ego.

Anyone been through a musical change like this, any ideas? I'm thinking about selling off the electrics and getting a jazzbox or something.

Problem is I still love the sound of electric guitars cranked up, but it feels silly now like a teenager in the bedroom thing if I'm playing solo.

2. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

I have a 4yo with an early bedtime so I play mine either unplugged or through an amPlug into some headphones.

3. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

I have the Boss eBand and really LOVE the thing. Dive into the effects presets and tweak 'em and you can get some great tone. Awesome loops to jam over. Look, no offense to acoustic players but I'd about hang it up if I had to go that route. I'm 57 but I'm more into the sound of electric guitar than ever.

4. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Amp modeler + headphones.

5. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

6. stevel

stevel Member

It is.

Turn it down. Set it to clean. Work on your PLAYING. Learn to play well with no crutches (overdrive). Learn to articulate notes cleanly and precisely. Turning the amp down low FORCES YOU TO LISTEN to what you're doing. Listen to it. I have a guitar plugged into an amp. That's it. I play it every night like this. I know if I can play it well on a clean amp with no "ego boost" on (loads of volume) I know I can keep control of it when I do go somewhere and crank it (though I play *reasonable* volume wherever I play).

You could do the headphones thing as well. I find I tend to tire of that (ear fatigue) pretty quickly though. On the other hand, it's great if you can pipe music through the phones to play to.

Steve

7. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

I played nothing but acoustic gigs for 4 years after playing only electric gigs for many years. I feel like I got a lot of my hearing back and really enjoyed it. Love showing up for my gigs with just one guitar case, nothing else. Also, changed my outlook on things like sound. When I went back to electric, I stripped away most of the pedals I'd accumulated and focused more on tone production with my hands.

8. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Yep! Believe it or not, though...

I put a PPIV master in my Vibrolux Reverb and can get decent tones while someone in the next room is working (my wife's office) and people are sleeping right upstairs. It isn't exactly rock and roll, but it's not bad, either- better than any practice amp I've played.

9. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

What's your typical setup? There are so many great low watt amps...and several convincing modeler types that can be used with headphones.

Why not join a new band where you've moved to (or are moving to)?

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Me too. There's nothing like the electric guitar. Get a pod hd300 or a zoom g3 and run it through your hi ri, or get a small pair of Rocket monitors.the guitar sounds at low volumes are unbelievable. I use them for teaching. As well.

11. david eaton

david eaton Member

The line 6 mobile in and corresponding free app is a great solution to that problem.

12. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I love the electric guitar. Just love it. But I also love acoustic guitar -- BOTH nylon and steel string acoustic. The three types are unique and each inform my playing on the other two. Lately I broke my thumbnail and can't play much of anything, so am playing the nylon acoustic a lot and working on all the many exercises for the "I" "M" and "A" fingers. Plenty to occupy me. Where there is a will, there is a way. And lots of good suggestions hear. Watch your hearing.

13. White Cluster

White Cluster Member

14. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I only play electric when there is a drummer. I'd rather create tone poems on acoustic than play electric at home.