No Smoking ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mantis, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Mantis

Mantis Member

This might be a stupid question, but when ever I read descriptions of amplifiers on ebay, and TGP people are always stating something along the lines of: "amp has been in a smoke free home."

Does tobacco smoke have a harmful effect on the electronics of an amp?
    or, are they just stating this to let viewers know the amp does not smell like a bar?
    I just bought a 1965 Gibson GA-5 Skylark and it stinks like cigarettes from 5 feet away. I kind of like the smell, very nostalgic.

2. Sean

Sean Member

Well, I think most people don't like the smell of stale cigs in their amps- they stink even more after they have been on a few hours.

Also, cigarrette smoke leaves a film on everything. I've had amps that have what seemed like shoe polish on every surface. I suppose over time that this would cause a problem with mechanical contacts- I just clean them and everything has been OK. It's jsut a smell issue for me.

3. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

I guess non-smokers might think that cigarette smoke smell is like sewer gas. So if you bring home an amp that smells like a toilet you might not be the most popular fellow in the house.

4. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

Ha ha... I think thats funny..."not be the most popular fellow in the house"

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I bought a Bogner 4x12 that had HUGE 'Saloon Stink' before the days of banned indoor smoking. That bastid REEKED but I didn't care about it...I didn't have to climb into bed with it (as far as you know). Funny tho, when I sold it a year later, and informed the buyer about the smell, neither one of us could smell it any longer.

I personally don't care about that smell, but I also wonder about those coals damaging the Tolex...

EP

6. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I hate smelly gear.

7. strat-rock

strat-rock Member

I had a brand new bass (back when I played bass in a band) case that my g/f bought me one year. The guys I played with smoked, a lot. Every time I'd open that case, the stink would make me turn my head, quickly.

Cigarette smokes is rank and makes everything it comes in contact with, acrid.

8. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

beat up, and smelly amplifiers always sound great.
    Thats why they got used so much.
    Ever notice how minty vintage amps usually don't sound so good?

9. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

The other smoke is just fine IMO. Inspiring.

10. blackba

blackba Member

You know I have a number of friends who are smokers, most of them don't like the stale tobacco smoke smell, interestingly enough.

I bought a Fender Bandmaster Reverb and it reeked. I had to let it in my sun room to air out for a weak before I could get near it. Now it only smells a bit when I turn it on.

To me a smokey piece of gear makes a difference in me buying it, but if the item is very desirable/rare I bet most, myself included would be willing to overlook it.

11. blackba

blackba Member

There is alot of truth to that. My Bandmaster Reverb sounds great. My '73 Les Paul Custom was "well used" but plays and sounds great too.

I still prefer the gear not to reek like smoke, but if it does, its normally not a deal breaker....

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

Three years ago I bought a Supro Big Star for $460.00. One channel and the reverb did not work. It also smelled like an ashtray. I replaced one tube, bent the RF shield away from grounding on the input jack and cleaned the amp with simple soap and water, just like everyone is supposed to. With about a $15.00 dollar investment and about an hour or elbow grease, I had a fantastic souding, looking and odorless amp on my hands. The I guy I sold it to a year later for $950.00 has since sold it for $2,050.00 on eBay. If your amp smells like cigarette smoke, you just do the standard maintenance for any guitar amp.

13. rastaman

rastaman Member

It's a selling point for some folks... I don't care what it smells like, only what it sounds like!

14. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Smoke and beer stains add character, th eones that are beat are the ones that sounded the best!

15. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

I don't know. I have a different perspective. Maintenance has much more to do with it than beer stains. Almost every beat up amp I have opened has had at least a cap job, sometimes other maintenance. I can't tell you how many times I've opened up pristine amps that had the original caps (and TUBES) and sounded somewhat flat. Once the requisite maintenance was performed, they smoked (PUN), and smelled minty too. :)

16. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

Well, I'm actually a player, so my amp smells like the bar, unfortunately, so does my leather jacket, my 335, my reverb tank, and my clothes always reek, when I get home from the bar gigs. I also will smoke the OCCASIONAL stogie, and that doesn't do much to help things.

17. trisonic

trisonic Member

I guess no one will want my ex Hendrix Marshall then?

Best, Pete.

18. bosstone

bosstone Member

In California we don't have to deal with the smoke problem in bars anymore. We are down to just the beer and puke smells these days.

19. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

Clean up story:

Got a Conn Strobetuner w/anvil-style case. That baby was tarred up with the cig smoke.
    I wiped it down again and again with paper towels and windex..even the power cord...towels came away brown again and again....yuk.

Then I had to tear the foam out of the anvil case and re-line it with new foam to further deal with the stink. Use a Boss TU-2 now anyway.

2nd story:
    My buddy just had a Fender grillcloth aged to look like it'd been sitting in a bar for years..It has the look, but not the stink:)

20. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

They are instruments and meant to be played and that means (for alot of us) smoky bars,smoky rehearsal rooms etc,etc.....I smoke.....Hate stale smoke smell but....it's part of the gig if your playing out with any frequency. But like some have posted...not such an issue anymore due to smoking bans and such