No Soldering here right?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by alanfc, Jul 29, 2005.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

hi, quickie

no soldering involved in a Strat pickguard change no?

thanks alot:)

2. baald

baald Member

depends on how you do the output jack and bridge ground wire. I guess it /can/ be done without soldering, but i'd choose to solder -- far easier in my estimation, especially if your output wires are on the short side.

3. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

No soldering if all you're doing is swapping out the pickguard and all of the electronics are staying intact. You can simply unscrew everything from the pickguard and re-install them on the new pickguard without firing up a soldering iron.

4. alanfc

alanfc Member

excellent/thanks guys:dude

5. alanfc

alanfc Member

6. baald

baald Member

oops, sorry. i was assuming you meant a loaded pickguard. Doh!

baald

7. alanfc

alanfc Member

wait wait don't go away-

what do you think of the black vs. white?

8. baald

baald Member

mmm.... no preference. with the gold, i think if ou can find a brown phenolic pickguard, then go with that. pickguards.com might have em. a little pricier, but would look awesome wiht the gold i think.

9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While it could be done without any soldering, the job is much easier when you completely detatch the pickguard assembly from the guitar. This involves desoldering two leads that go to the output jack and one ground lead that goes to the trem assembly.

10. aquadog

aquadog Member

You could also get pretty much any custom color pickgaurd you want from warmoth.

I think the black looks fine, but keep the pickup cover white, or get creme ones to match the body color.

11. PolyMorf

PolyMorf Member

If you are uncomfortable with soldering you can always cut the output jack and ground wires and then reattach them using a lineman's splice and covering with black electrical tape. Google for soldering, lineman's splice. Personally, I would use the splice and solder. I've never had one fail yet in 40 years of soldering.

Or you could use straight wire crimps.

Regards,

Harry

12. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

Hmmm.... aesthetics is a personal thing, but I think I like the white better than the black - but that's just me! I think a Gold finish is kind of hard to match pickguards to. Most of the colors and finish options for pickguards just don't go that well with a Gold paint job. I think simpler is better in this case which is why white strikes me as the better option. Maybe a white shell pickguard which would dress it up a bit but not detract from the cool Gold finish....

13. alanfc

alanfc Member

yes I know what you mean about simplicity.
    I change my mind a few times a day.
    Usually don't care about looks but the white makes the guitar look bigger and sort of dwarfs me. I'm already not that big to begin with:rolleyes:

plus I always like the New Orlean Saints football helmets - ALOT:D

I haven't done anything yet. I shouldn't be worried about soldering really, I've successfully changed 3 pickups in the last year and changed 3 speakers in the last year too.