No sound from guitar but it still works with tuner pedal?

woolyh

After 5 years my Grestch Electromatic has suddenly quit outputting any sound.

I've checked all external factors and I'm guessing it's either the pickup selector which has intermittently killed the sound before when switching to the neck pickup (a good wiggle has always got it going again) or the output jack which likes to spin around and come loose as there's nothing holding it in place.

What's really confusing me though is there is no sound at all from the guitar yet when I plug it into a Boss TU-3 it's still able to tune the guitar! How is this possible and would it mean the output jack is the culprit rather than pickup selector?

Thanks and I hope this is the right place to post this :D

Family Man

Silver Supporting Member
There's either something in the tuner failing to send the sound through, or something after the tuner that is killing the sound. If the tuner is tuning your guitar, the guitar isn't the issue.

Have you plugged directly into the amp? If that didn't work, have you tried plugging directly into a different amp with a different cable?

Gclef

Your problem is after the tuner input.

I have this issue as well. It was the cable going out of my tuner to my tube screamer that was the culprit

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Wait, does the tuner have an internal mike?
Maybe it gets the signal acoustically.

Flogger59

I do this to myself regularly. One mode on my EX7 has a volume pedal when it's bypassed. Gets me every time.

Also, I had the in/out jacks on my Zoom UF-01 too close to a crosspiece, moving it a fraction would unplug the input jack.

Lastly, bad cable. The locally assembled brand is Digiflex, I used those until the failure rate got ridiculous, changed for Rapco, no problems so far.

donnievaz

Have you plugged the guitar straight into an amp? What you're describing says it's definitely not the guitar.

woolyh

OK I'm an idiot. I was trying to get the guitar to work all morning and ended up sticking a pencil in the F hole to try to seperate the wiring in case it was shorting out which must of fixed the guitar but I didn't try it plugged into my amp after that :facepalm

Thought I had a haunted tuner pedal for a moment there :D

Thanks for the responses :wave

Mickey Shane

apolitical
Gold Supporting Member
I bought a small tool that allows me to crank down on the jack nut without spinning the jack. It's worth it's weight in gold in the semi-hollow world.

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
OK I'm an idiot. I was trying to get the guitar to work all morning and ended up sticking a pencil in the F hole to try to seperate the wiring in case it was shorting out which must of fixed the guitar but I didn't try it plugged into my amp after that :facepalm

Thought I had a haunted tuner pedal for a moment there :D

Thanks for the responses :wave
Dude, your status as “idiot of the moment” is far from exclusive. I had my amp more or less packed up for a tech visit once. Got delayed a day for some reason. Took another pass at the problem, nasal hideous narrow tone, only to find that my Wah pedal was on, and had been, for a frantic half hour of profanity laced struggle. DUUUHHHhhh!

Trending Topics