No time for negativity! (Thanks to Mike Hermans) I had a great pedal year. What was great for you?

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Maybe it's just me, but I can't get with the negative gear vibe. Great pedals are in abundance across all price points, what is there to complain about?

I want to hear from folks that have the positive gear vibe! What did you get?

Speaking of vibes, below are 5 pedals that I bought after I got interested in them and found a Mike Hermans' video demo. For whatever reason, the way he demos pedals is perfect for me. When I read about or hear about a pedal that grabs my interest, I jump on YouTube and see if Mike has done a demo. If I like the sounds he's getting, I get the pedal...haven't been disappointed yet.

Mike, if you are a member of TGP, I just want to say Thank You for great videos and killer playing!

Let's hear your pedal goodness for this year regardless of who demoed it.

Keeley Monterey: I never even knew I liked Vibe/Wah or possibly even Fuzz...until I checked out this pedal. Love it!

Keeley Monterey

The Monterey was my gateway drug into Vibe and Fuzz. I still have the Monterey, but also acquired these bad boys to really have max tweakability for mixing.

Effectrode Tube Vibe

Function F(X) Clusterfuzz

Read about this one on Tone Report (I think) and became intrigued with the description and the fact that it is off the TGP radar. Such a great pedal!

GFI Specular Reverb 2

Finally the Lex, only Strymon pedal I have ever tried. I knew I wanted some organ tones for doing jazz chord stuff. As always Mike's demo got me hooked.

Strymon Lex

Jazzandmore

My favorite pedal purchase this year is the EHX M9. I'm still learning how to get the most out of it, but it blows my mind every time I plug in.

cj,

Very cool man, you make pedals and also have great things to say about pedals that others make. That's the kind of great attitude TGP needs more of.

By the way, I'm the guy that you just sent the pedal and the large t-shirt to yesterday :) I'll give you a shout when I get it!

BerkeleyJones

Nice change of thread vibes!

Man, all of 2016 went well & then I fell off the wagon as soon as I saw the below demo.

I even sold my KoT. I know. It went to every gig with my and was my "jam" or rehearsal pedal that never left my board. In come the Kingsley Harlot. Real tube OD that changed my approach.

Oh and I'm back on BOSS! TR-2 & RV-6 are stellar. Friedman BE-OD honorable mention.

Jazzandmore

Nice change of thread vibes!

Man, all of 2016 went well & then I fell off the wagon as soon as I saw the below demo.

I even sold my KoT. I know. It went to every gig with my and was my "jam" or rehearsal pedal that never left my board. In come the Kingsley Harlot. Real tube OD that changed my approach.

Oh and I'm back on BOSS! TR-2 & RV-6 are stellar. Friedman BE-OD honorable mention.

Oh Yeah, Kingsley's pedals are awesome. I got a Jester in 2015. I bet you are glad you fell off the wagon ;)

LaceSensor1

Gold Supporting Member
I purchased a BigSky, El Cap, and Arc Klone this year

All have been great to my ears.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I only have 1 Eventide H9, no American made guitars, and no Klone. But life is awesome Gear wise.
Props the Bad Cat Amps. Diamond pedals. The GigRig.

JB_SC

Gold Supporting Member
For me, it was the MXR Custom Badass Modified O.D. I picked up this year, very versatile and it sounds great to me :)

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I went on an analogman bender this year.

Astro Tone
Prince of tone
Bicomp with 4 jack option
Silver TS9

Still a couple of things I want. I'm dangerously close to having my entire board full of his stuff aside from the wah and tuner.

Last edited:

kowalski440

Silver Supporting Member
What made this year better for me was resistance. Instead of buying 'trendy' TGP pedals, I resisted and focused on buying only what I needed and what received the best online reviews. I took my time and was rewarded. I only picked up 3 pedals this year.
Diamond Tremolo
Xotic RC Booster SH
Boss RV6

That stands in stark contrast to 2015 wherein I went through 23 pedals and kept only two. This year I was methodical. Anally so. But I saved a lot of money and came across three killer pedals that not only sound awesome but a perfect fit with my existing pedals and rig. I think I'm going to apply the same method to 2017. Calculated purchases that are well thought out instead of instant gratification now, now, now and wanting the latest and greatest trendy fluff.

bigben55

Notables this year have been:

Visual Sound H2Ov3
Timmy
Oddfellow Fx Napoleon Boost
DOD Phasor 201
BBE Mind Bender

Best score was a Wilson Effects 6 position Rippah Q-Wah for dirt cheap off eBay. Had a bad switch. Took it to Kevin, fixed. I'd say it's the best wahs ever, but he makes a 12 position.

Good year! Very little money changed hands, but lots of horse trading. In 2017, I wanna buy another H2Ov3 for my other board. And upgrade the board itself, maybe a pedal power.

Jazzandmore

What made this year better for me was resistance. Instead of buying 'trendy' TGP pedals, I resisted and focused on buying only what I needed and what received the best online reviews. I took my time and was rewarded. I only picked up 3 pedals this year.
Diamond Tremolo
Xotic RC Booster SH
Boss RV6

That stands in stark contrast to 2015 wherein I went through 23 pedals and kept only two. This year I was methodical. Anally so. But I saved a lot of money and came across three killer pedals that not only sound awesome but a perfect fit with my existing pedals and rig. I think I'm going to apply the same method to 2017. Calculated purchases that are well thought out instead of instant gratification now, now, now and wanting the latest and greatest trendy fluff.

Well thought out and finding keepers is definitely a great way to approach it. :aok

Modulator

I started off the year not buying very many pedals, so few I can't quite remember what I bought other than the Montreal Assembly Count to Five for most the year, then I had quite a few pedal purchases I'm super happy with just in the last few months, especially Black Friday. My favorite purchases this year are the Pettydrive V2, Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin and The Tchula, CT5, and Mr. Black's Shepherd Tone. The most useful purchase might end up being a Keeley CG-2 limiter/compressor that I got used on Amazon for 1/2 price in like new condition. I plan on using it at the end of my ODs to keep the spikes in volume and level differences in fuzzes a bit more even. So far, it's working great, time to pull out my fuzzes that were too loud and try them again. :D

This year I bought or traded into:

2016 Gibson SG P-90

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue (Traded my Mesa Express 5:50 + Fender Custom '68 Vibrolux + cash for it...yeah I lost)
Super Reverb Reissue (traded the Deluxe and $100 for it), at least now I'm happy with my amp.

BOSS VB-2w
Keeley Katana
Xotic SL Drive
Bearfoot Fx Model Hs

Yeah, it's been a good year. :) All winners in my book, as I've gotten a lot more shrewd and less compulsive in gear acquisition. I discriminated the hell out of every Marshall pedal before I settled on the SL Drive.

dharkon8

Three outstanding ones for me.
Pelican noiseworks pelitaur. My favourite fuzz.
Digitech trio plus- for me the best songwriting tool ever.
Boss ES-8, just fabulous.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom