No Whirlwind Orange Box vs Mxr '74 Phase 90 demos

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintage66, Feb 15, 2012.

1. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I'd give a virtual e-beer to anyone who did a demo. I'm have a h*ll of a time deciding between these two (probably Analogman modded '74). I can't find either locally, much less both in the same store, even though I've played through both at different times. I really want to try the Whirlwind again since my first impression wasn't that great-so many people recommend it that I'm wondering if the amp wasn't set right-might have been a Fender, can't remember, so that could have been the problem-that wouldn't give me the sound I want anyway.

2. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I'll give my impressions of the two I tried-the Mxr had kind of a gritty slightly distorted thing going in the midrange, which I think is what gives it the classic '70's sound-not to be mistaken for the overblown current block label ones that are too syrupy imo. It did have some hiss-much like an overdrive. I don't know if I'd get tired of the grittyness, but for overdriven sounds it did sound righteous.

The Whirlwind seemed more polite and clear ifrc. I don't know if the sweep was more dramatic-this is one of the things I'd like a comparison of, and the amount of midrange grit.

I'd love someone to rip off some Van Halen licks with both, maybe some Floyd, Zeppelin-The Rover. These are the sounds I'm looking for. Are the Mxr's generally hissy or was this one not a great example? It's most noticable with some od on the amp-it's just like turning on a tube screamer in the white noise department.