No Your Kids Can't Play In My Guitar Room...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by T92780, Apr 28, 2016.

1. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Dog thread brought this immediately to mind.

Relatives come over with kids and take them up to my music room filled with very, very expensive gear and I then have to carefully monitor them through out the night, as they'll sneak up unattended. We're talking about 2-4 year olds.

In the end, i got to plug in mic for them to sing in and turn on keyboard and make sure they dont get agressive, no less a stealth move towards FCS, Two Rock, etc. Geez send them to backyard to play, etc.....nightmare for me.

Sadly, looks like I need to put lock on door, which will come off as me being an ass....no win. Perhaps I should crank amp to have mom come running to protect her babies ears... oh, I'll be an ass...no win.

marktweedy and TVvoodoo like this.
  2. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Get some ukuleles and send them home with the kids.
    Plant the music bug early.

LPBlue, Baxtercat, JiveTurkey and 4 others like this.
  3. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

I have a couple of cheap ukes and six strings. Whenever families visit, I take them into a DIFFERENT ROOM and show the kids what they can touch. Thankfully, I've never had anyone unable keep out of my music room. It starts with my own kids who are allowed in because they can handled themselves, but they know to keep other kids on the stuff that is available in the lounge.

For what it's worth, you won't look like an ass for doing this. Any reasonable adult can understand that kids are not gonna be allowed to play with everything.

randall g and morlll like this.
  4. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Why can't you just make it clear there's some stuff that's off limits, and then (provided you've got it) give 'em something to fool around with that ain't so precious, maybe somewhere else than in your cave?....you were a kid once, right?....bet you'd be all over that stuff too.

If you get any flack for being unwilling to let them have free reign, then you've got other issues at home mate...can't help ya there.:cool:

Fred132 likes this.
  5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I would just have to be an ass. No kids go into the room all my gear is in. Period.

6. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

When kids visit, and start getting into things they shouldn't, I just tell them they can play behind my bar and that's the last I hear from them.

7. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

I jam with my granddaughters all the time. I got them their own instruments keyboards little guitars and a little drumset and that keeps them busy for hours sometimes and away from my gear.

Baxtercat likes this.
  8. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I have an acoustic guitar I let a 3 year old girl play with while I'm holding it. Ahahahhahaahhaa she pulls the strings like a bow string and swings at the strings with one of her Disney pincess toys, lol. I'm impressed with this Ibanez Exotic wood acoustic it can really take a beaten and stay in tune, even with the kid yanking on the strings while i'm trying to teach her to be gentle, lol. The finish is tough too, even with those toys hitting it it's still smooth. Who has more fun than a 3 year old.

If I had a room like the OP is talking about I would lock the door and bring out the "beater" instruments. :)

9. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

My daughter (19) from the time she was 2, knew not to touch my guitars and she would always tell her friends "those are my daddy's guitars, don't touch them" so I guess I did something right.
    The cheap uke's/acoustic idea is a good one...good luck....and yes, put a lock on the door if your friends can't teach their kids what's off limits.

T92780 likes this.
  10. mattball826

mattball826 Member

I used to let my sons and their friends over to check out the studio. I would show others who asked as well. My nieces and nephews also enjoyed messing around in there.

Then one day, I'm going to set up for client and I end up missing about $4000 in mic's. Now it is locked down permanently and no kids or adults are permitted without me being there. These bastards knew what they were taking. More than likely one of my sons friend who was a musician. When my son texted him about the missing mics, he never responded and hasn't been in contact with any of their group. POS

RedRock and CubanB like this.
  11. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

I cannot wait to see how many different negative labels the TGP psychological and sociological staff affix to you over the next few days.

RedRock, T92780 and Jonny G like this.
  12. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Don't know how any parent would take offense at somebody protecting their high-priced possessions. It'd be weird to hear some type of justification for the opposite but it'd be entertaining to see the strange reasoning in action.

jrjones and T92780 like this.
  13. dubdub

dubdub Member

I put everything away whenever i have company, not taking any chances.

Kids will break things, just a matter of time. So i take no chances.

T92780 likes this.
  14. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

No music room at my house. No kid visitors either. So, No Problem !

15. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Actually, that's a great way to approach the topic if you're talking to stupid parents who otherwise wouldn't get that you want your high-priced items understandably out of reach.

kristian likes this.
  16. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

I thought you said shredders, not shedders.

[​IMG]

T92780 likes this.
  17. Campfired

Campfired Member

No, you're OK. Kids need to be taught the concept of "borders" and "privacy" at an early age, otherwise, everything they look at or hear they will want to get into.
    Dang, what with homeland security possibly monitoring our every communication, nothing is "private" anymore unless you make sure it is.

As others have already chimed in, provide the kids with alternative "toys" that you need not fear incurring damage to.

A lock on the man cave door is a reasonable choice. You don't need ninja kids sneaking up and pinning you down in your man cave and hoisting your expensive gear while your companions snore asleep in bed in the other part of the house. P.S. Be careful of the oldest toddler who may decide you are wedgie material, who will incite the younger ones to follow suit with their shenanigans.

T92780 and CubanB like this.
  18. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I get why kids are drawn to musical instruments, they make fun sounds but just because they are "played" doesn't make them toys. Everyone has the right to some ground rules in their own house and if that takes locking some doors, I see nothing wrong with that. My rules for my gear aren't up for debate. My biggest one is if you don't play guitar, you aren't messing with mine. Also, if I don't like how someone I have let play a guitar of mine is handling that guitar, I'll take it away and not think twice about it. I'm happy to abide by anyone's rules for their stuff and if they don't want me touching it, that's fine. I admit I might not be happy about that if it's something I find particularly cool but the rules are the rules and I will abide by them completely. I'm actually not really particularly comfortable playing other people's guitars to begin with though.

I also think kids need to learn about this kind of thing early. You know there's something at THEIR house their parents don't want them playing with, so I don't think it's unfair that others should have things at their house they don't want messed with.

T92780 likes this.
  19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

After I told my young son several times to leave the stereo alone I just showed him how to use it.

[​IMG]

It worked out OK

[​IMG]

20. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit®

In no way do I view your putting a lock on the door to protect valuable gear as being an ass, and I would pay no attention to anyone who says so.

Quite apart from that, I like the idea of beater instruments being made available.

T92780 and morlll like this.