No. You're not A Voodoo Chile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu Blue

The 40th anniversary of Jimi's death is coming real soon, could I persuade cover bands and blues jammers to change the lyrics of Voodoo Chile to "He was.... etc" ie put it into the third person as a tribute to the guy rather than the first person pretence that anyone out there is remotely a real "Voodoo Chile".... I saw Hendrix several times live, and guys, you've no idea how far short you all fall.....

EDIT You have to get to post 103 before anyone gets the point of this thread. Can't you guys read what's actually written.. it's clearly about one and only one song, and about showing respect for one artist. Obviously I should not have posted the criticism, in these everybody-has-a-right-to-be-offended-by-the-truth days, I should posted "Wouldn't it be nice if we all sang he was as tribute".......

Last edited:

KeithC

Silver Supporting Member
No one is Jimi and I sure consider myself a HUGE fan of the man. Although I haven't seen him live I certainly have all or most of the live video so my opinion will be less valuable than yours.
But, I would imagine Jimi the man and musician wouldn't be offended.
BTW...our band does not cover the song so I take no personal affront from your request.

Let's just change all the lyrics then ...

Manic depression is touching HIS soul;
I know what HE wants but HE just doesn't know

There's a red house over yonder, baby, that's where HIS baby stays;
Well, HE ain't been home to see HIS baby in about ninety nine and one half days

Can you see HIM? Begging YOU on HIS knees.
Wo Yeah!
Can you see Him baby? Baby please don't leave;
Yeah if you can see HIM doing that
You can see in the future of a thousand years

:hide2

6Tones

"Purple Haze all in his brain"
Thankfully Jimi didnt do a cover "All of me"
"..All of him..why not take all of him "
:D

Stu Blue

I'm not trolling BTW. Voodoo has always struck me being especially personal to Jimi... I spent a couple of hours boozing with the guy after his first gig in London (a press do above a pub if I remember right) and I did some gigs with Mitch Mitchell in the '70s, so I'm sure Jimi wouldn't give a damn either way... it's the lack of "modesty" (for the want of a better term) in others I'm getting at. :hide2

Shake

So when you sing Sinatra, you say "He did it his way..."

I get it now. Makes perfect sense. :huh

whitehall

Jimi wasn't a voodoo chile either. In fact he's already passed into fat Elvis country. ... That's right kids...New from KTEL , it's ...Jimi RAPS....not available in any stores....get up and call in now.

skydog

I'm not trolling BTW. Voodoo has always struck me being especially personal to Jimi... I spent a couple of hours boozing with the guy after his first gig in London (a press do above a pub if I remember right) and I did some gigs with Mitch Mitchell in the '70s, so I'm sure Jimi wouldn't give a damn either way... it's the lack of "modesty" (for the want of a better term) in others I'm getting at. :hide2
so in other words you started this thread to toot your own horn?

It's funny you should say that because I met Jimi at Woodstock and guess what, he was a complete douche, not a voodoo chile. Me and my friend who played bass got up with him and we jammed backstage in this funky smelling van and the only sound we could hear was Jimi, he didn't even stop to listen to us. I said : Hey Jimi, can you please turn your amp down and he just looked at me as if I had insulted him... but he fortunately did turn his amp down. Then he started to play out of tune just to make us angry, my friend got up looking really angry, and he is a big dude and Jimi got scared and said your moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air. I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said 'fresh' and had dice in the mirror. If anything I can say this cab is rare But I thought 'Nah, forget it' - 'Yo homes to Bel Air'

chucke99

And what happens in the case where Jimi is covering another artist's song?

Once upon a time some person Bob Dylan knew dressed so fine
That person threw the bums a dime in his or her prime, didn’t that person?

kush06

Let's break this last one down:

I'm not trolling BTW... Um, ok.

I spent a couple of hours boozing with the guy after his first gig in London (a press do above a pub if I remember right)... No lack of modesty on your part here. Oh, wait.

and I did some gigs with Mitch Mitchell in the '70s, so I'm sure Jimi wouldn't give a damn either way... still playing your modesty cards. But ok, so why do YOU give a damn how people sing the lyrics then if Jimi wouldn't?

it's the lack of "modesty" (for the want of a better term) in others I'm getting at...wait, in *others*, or *yourself*?

Any by the way, post-middle age white dudes playing the blues ain't exactly voodoo chillren either, so as they say...people in glass houses yadda yadda yadda.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
So is no one actually a voodoo chile? What happened to the voodoo children? Won't anyone think of the voodoo children?

KazJY

Wow, stumbled into the pub by accident, and look what I found.

Yeah, I still like to sing it as hard as I can that I'm a voodoo chile. He is a voodoo chile too, but I'm also a Rolling Stone, I still can't get no Satisfaction, I wanna rock and roll all night, and party every day.

As I type this, SRV's version on Couldn't Stand the Weather came on (no kidding). Imagine if he was modest for a moment.

Everyone falls short of Jimi, let's just play the tune...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics