Nobels ODR-1 BC - New Bass Cut Model

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CloneTone, Jan 13, 2020.

1. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

Just got this pedal, it's too late to plug in or turn up here, so haven't tried it yet. Looking forward to hearing it tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glow in the dark knobs:
    [​IMG]

I didn't see anything in the manual about 18V input on the new one, but that's the first thing I want to test against last years model full-size ODR-1, that I have here also.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Doug59, Greyblooz, Kai T. and 8 others like this.
  2. valvestate

valvestate Member

#1 fave pedal ever made!

Let us know how it goes once you test it!

3. JagFan

JagFan Member

Wow. I really want to like the odr1 but every demo I’ve heard just had too much bass and sounds muddy to me. This could be the answer!

Big in Japan likes this.
  4. Mark Milliron

Mark Milliron Supporting Member

Very interested in hearing how the bass cut sounds! Please give us an update when you’ve had a chance to play it. I would like to know how much bass it cuts. I’m hoping it doesn’t cut too little or too much.

valvestate, Datsyuk and Big in Japan like this.
  5. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

Color me interested. I like a lot of bass, but both of the ODR-1s I owned were farty. I had to buy it twice to make sure the first one wasn't broken. :) Let us know how it goes.

monty likes this.
  6. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

At least they went out of their way to make it convenient...

7. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

Exactly what this circuit needs, based on my experience with the mini. Liked it a lot but could not get the EQing to sit right no matter what. Do it to the mini and I'm totally in.

8. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

I saw this pedal in another thread, which got me thinking: The ODR-1 has been on the market for 30 years, and people have been complaining about (1) the bass, and (2) the bypass almost the entire time. Why hasn't the manufacturer come out with a model that has a bass knob and TB--or a bass knob and a switchable buffered / TB bypass? Would that be so hard? It kind of seems like a no-brainer.

Side-observation: I've noticed a few mini versions of pedals that sport features that their full sized counterparts don't have. Examples: TS Mini is TB, while the full size is not. Nobels ODR-1 Mini is TB (and, from what I've read, has a minor reduction in bass), while the standard ODR-1 is not. The MXR Phase 95 packs all the features of both the Phase 45 AND the Phase 90, AND the script version of those pedals, but no standard sized version of the Phase 95 even exists. I'd really like it if pedal makers would update their full-sized offerings to at least keep pace with their minis.

9. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Now there will be people saying it cuts too much bass.

10. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

There are other options with a bass pot and decent bypass.

Figaro and Bucksears like this.
  11. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

Thanks for sharing this! First I’ve heard of it. I love this pedal...and am also looking forward to hearing your insights.

May I ask where you were able to purchase it?

CloneTone likes this.
  12. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

valvestate, Kai T., monty and 2 others like this.
  13. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

Why wouldn’t they implement a bass knob to control the desired amount of bass? The Mythos Erlking is a great example of this. I personally don’t mind the bass the way I use it but a lot do mind the excess bass. Just my thoughts.

Killshakes likes this.
  14. monty

monty Member

Thanks! Very helpful.

CloneTone likes this.
  15. Greyblooz

Greyblooz Member

I have the mini and think it sounds great -- better than any of the clones I tried so far, and I will try them all eventually but the bass and buffer of the original are probably key ingredients like the beef-tallow in the original McD french fries.

I prefer Belgian potatoes cooked in lard with a bottle of trappist beer. Others prefer Bud Lite, and that's fine. You can also ask for your breakfast sandwich without fake cheese but I found it actually tastes better with it. It all gives me GAS. That's why I'll get this new pedal, too.

16. valvestate

valvestate Member

I think it's simply just due to aesthetics. They don't want to mess up their original design... I know some people (including myself) will be pissed off if they change the overall look of the ODR-1 once they include a bass knob. Just my opinion.

17. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

The bass that is being cut is very subtle with the gear I'm using, and at the volume levels I'm experimenting with, it feels like it's in the sub-bass range - that's being cut, because the volume never suffers from the bass cut, just the low end frequency disappears, or is shelved in a transparent way.

I would assume that at higher volumes and with a higher gain amp, the bass cut would feel more pronounced. Especially for the guys with closed back cabs.

I hope to get some more practice time in with it over this weekend, I have a Tele I want to try with the bass cut in Open G, going for that ragged Stones sound.

18. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

(I’m referring to the Nordland ODR-C below)
    Approximately $350 Canadian + tax + shipping + potentially massive brokerage fees = somewhere potentially around $500 CAD for me to indulge. Yikes.

valvestate likes this.
  19. Mark Milliron

Mark Milliron Supporting Member

How does the bypass sound? That is the other concern I have with the ODR-1. I’ve heard the buffered bypass is not great and can suck tone.

20. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Nobels made the ODR-S model that had as I recall a 3-band EQ, so it had a bass control. Some people complained that it sounded different than the regular model. They made it in the older silver/black case series too, but it is now out of production. You can still find an older ODR-s version second hand if you want to try one, some stores may have the recent version in stock new if you look around. I've never tried that one, but I was interested just to see if it was a different sound than the basic ODR pedal.
    Al

Mark Milliron likes this.