Nobels ODR-1 BC - New Bass Cut Model

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CloneTone, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Mark Milliron

Mark Milliron Supporting Member

I tried one a really liked the way it sounded, but it is a high gain pedal unlike the original. It can be used as a low gainer but the gain needs to be set to barely on, and trying to keep the gain knob in that barely on position was too finicky for me. The slightest bump of the gain knob would add a lot of gain.

Figaro likes this.
  2. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

I'll definitely check out the bypass this weekend, I hadn't heard of that problem before. I have an a/b pedal I can test with. I didn't experience the tone suck with last years ODR-1, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. Thanks for the heads up.

P.S> Looks like I got an Admin warning, and had one of my posts removed for commenting on the "creator of the ODR-1" and the 'infomercial' that landed on the page before this, that's now been removed. Did not see that coming, had no idea I did something wrong. No one is paying me a single cent for any of this, nor would they.

Datsyuk likes this.
  3. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing. There's a DIY version/clone somewhere that has Vol, Bass, Tone, Drive controls.
    I've never played a real one, but love the vids I've heard.

Mark Milliron likes this.
  4. Mark Milliron

Appreciate the insight on the new ODR-1! Analog Mike is the person I saw mention the buffered bypass being low quality on the ODR-1.

I am curious to know where you got the new version?

I also had some messaged deleted that were a reply to the original designer. I mentioned price and US availability in my reply. I wonder if that’s what flagged them.

CloneTone and Kai T. like this.
  5. Mark Milliron

I just noticed that all of the posts mentioning the Norland have been removed. I wonder if Nobels complained about it. Perhaps there is some legal action being taken?

6. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Aion sells a BYOC style kit that has a bass knob added if you're handy with a soldering iron. The Visual Sound Open Road is a great ODR-1 pedal but no bass knob. I wish they would split off the left side of the current Jekyll and Hyde into a single pedal because its the Open Road with bass knob and clean blend.

valvestate likes this.
  7. Kai T.

Kai T. Member

Yes - I got a warning regarding "rule regarding inappropriate advertising" - Sorry for this!!
    I made the ODR-1 bc so its not a problem with Nobels... It was my Idea to add a switch in that battery-compartment position because it can be a feature without changing any toolings...
    It really cuts the lo-bass and I think this is very good sounding.
    Hopefully this is not another kind of "inappropriate advertising"...

CloneTone and Mark Milliron like this.
  8. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Where is there room to put a bass knob?

9. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

Obviously you haven’t seen the Nordland ODR-C.

10. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

I have the Aion Andromeda which has a variable bass cut knob. Also if you leave out 2 diodes it's the stock ODR-1 circuit with a bass cut. If you're handy with a soldering iron I highly recommend this build.

11. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Just looked and obviously you haven’t seen that Nordland is, like many copies, a totally different box and design? My post was about where is there room to add a bass knob on the ODR-1?

12. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

The new BC version can be found at these two places, that I know of:
    http://www.osiamo.com/nobels-ODR-1-overdrive
    https://reverb.com/item/31095732-nobels-odr-1-bc-natural-overdrive-with-bass-cut

Regarding the post deletion, this was the warning I received:
    Your post in the thread Nobels ODR-1 BC - New Bass Cut Model was deleted. Reason: Inappropriate advertising removed along with discussion
    4:56 AM

@Kai T. ,would you care to comment on the bypass buffer being of low quality? Not trying to start anything, just curious to hear if there were any compromises that had to be made for this price point.

13. Kai T.

Kai T. Member

Yes...
    This is the frequency response of an ODR-1 Fet-Bypass (blue) compared to True Bypass (red).
    [​IMG]
    The loss it ~1.8 db. This kind of electronic switching is in principle the same as Boss and other used on the stomp-boxes. The advantage is popping free switching. True Bypass always has a popping noise. Sometimes more - sometimes less…
    btw... the yellow is a freq.response of a famous Klon-Buffer...

CloneTone and Befuddled like this.
  14. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Kai T. likes this.
  15. Kai T.

Kai T. Member

Thank your for your hint!!