• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Nobels ODR-1 Reissue!?

FXMonkey

Great ...I would love to try one and the price is right.

Anyone know how this compares to the Visual Sound Open Road?

elcidd

Not showing up on their website yet, so I'm curious what makes it an exclusive. Looking forward to getting a backup for my original ODR-1.

Jove

Well, aren't the silver ones they've been selling the past few years are supposed to be the exact same? If so, that makes the on in this ad just green instead. I have an original that I dig but was surprised to hear they are worth some money since the silver ones are identical. (Or so I've heard from a couple serious players who've compared em')

J

llamaiguana

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone know how this compares to the Visual Sound Open Road?
I was going to ask the same thing. I have heard the open road is supposed to be similar to an ODR, but I've never played a Nobels. Now to convince myself to throw down the cash to find out for myself...

The old one is one of my favorites OD's out therel Wonder how this will stand up against the old one.
The law of TGP Gear Acquisition clearly states that

8. The new <insert brand> reissue does not sound as organic, liquid and/or ethereal as the old one
and should be sold at 10-20 times the price of the reissue on ebay
:rotflmao

Best regards -T

LouRossi

awesome! mine stays @ home as it's on life support and have been using a boss od3 for a live use replacment

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Well, aren't the silver ones they've been selling the past few years are supposed to be the exact same? If so, that makes the on in this ad just green instead. I have an original that I dig but was surprised to hear they are worth some money since the silver ones are identical. (Or so I've heard from a couple serious players who've compared em')

J
Yes. Green = silver. When the silver ones first came out, a batch did have the gain & vol pots reversed (by mistake), but that was corrected. Same circuit.

The reason the green ones are worth more is because 1) people don't know the circuit is the same, and 2) people will always believe anything that isn't made anymore is better than anything being currently made.

drolling

I prefer the ODR-S.
You'd think it'd be the better pedal; Cost more, gots more knobs, etc.

But IMO, the ODR-1 just has a better base tone. Maybe not as tweakable as the "S", but it's always been a 'set-&-forget' pedal for me anyway

Probably the very best overdrive I've ever heard in its price range (paid $39 for mine back in '04). Certainly stomps the living **** outa Bad Monkey & all the cheaper screamer variants..

..But it's nothing to get worked up about compared to the truly stellar ODs I've discovered since I joined TGP

I paid just a few dollars more for my Timmy, for example, and the Nobels has been in retirement ever since

If this reissue sounds as good as the original, and is priced as low - They'll sell A TON of these!!

Heck, I'll probably buy one myself, just to do a little basement shoot-out

The Nobels ODR-1 sounds odd/unique and cool
it sounds kind of like a hollow fuzzy light softclipping

How come not more pedals sound like that? Most other overdrives seem to distort similarly but have a little different EQ curves :)

Best regards -T

KennyM

Silver Supporting Member
I really dig my ODR-1. There's just something really great about it. It's still on my board with 5 Cornish pedals and gets used just as often. It's the only OD I have that sounds great with every amp.

elcidd

The thing I like most about my original ODR-1 is that it's possible to set it up where it doesn't change the original tone, just adds more drive. Works great with any amp/guitar. The original price of $40 was a nice perk as well! It's one of the few ODs that I always go back to.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I found the Nobels ODR-1 to be in the samew camp as Timmy & LTD-SR... not saying they are interchangeable, just that they all have similar tonal characteristics... similar mid profiles (or lack thereof).

I'd alway go with a Timmy or LTD-SR given the choice, they are a little more versatile, plus Paul & Dave are great guys I want to support, but you can't laugh at the ODR-1. Solid alternative to TS-type.

KennyM

Silver Supporting Member
The thing I like most about my original ODR-1 is that it's possible to set it up where it doesn't change the original tone, just adds more drive. Works great with any amp/guitar. The original price of $40 was a nice perk as well! It's one of the few ODs that I always go back to.
Yeah, it's possible to set the ODR-1 to where it sounds exactly the same on as it does off. Not many pedals that actually sound like your normal sound just with a little more hair on it. None of that nasally TS type thing.

theraygun

I love my ODR-1 Silver. If you look at that page, it appears to be built exactly like the Silver but is painted green. A $40 upcharge for green paint. If the pots and jacks were better it might be worth it, but doesn't look like it.

woodie

Silver Supporting Member
i'd like to know more about it, but to be honest, I'm pretty happy with the silver one. it just works for me in any situation. If there are any improvements, I'd most likely be interested.

Catoogie

Looks like there's going to be a Nobels ODR-1 reissue (green one) coming out, this looks really interesting. The old one is one of my favorites OD's out therel Wonder how this will stand up against the old one.

http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/201103_1/?pg=7#pg7

I love this! You can still buy the silver one which is the same circuit as the old green one and the silver ones only cost $56. You're gonna pay $33 for a green enclosure?

DBarbe007

The silver ones have the drive and level pots reversed, which doesn't produce the same sound as the old green nobels. If you switch the two pots they exactly the same, from what I've heard.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
The silver ones have the drive and level pots reversed, which doesn't produce the same sound as the old green nobels. If you switch the two pots they exactly the same, from what I've heard.
The 1st production run of silvers did.This was corrected in all the other runs.

Trending Topics