Nobels ODR-1

TMP

Ok so I happened to luck out on an original Nobels ODR-1 overdrive today. Get it tomorrow. What is the going price ? Just wanna know if I did ok on it. Just wanted everyone’s opinions/ dislikes and whatever else info I should know ? Thanks

Last edited:

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
Killer pedal. The bypass isn't great... so either a loop or you can get them true bypassed. If you go that route I recommend Xact Tone Solutions in Nashville. I had them do a buffer bypass on mine but keep the housing, switch and jacks... so not a rehouse.

MadFrank

Gold Supporting Member
Very good pedal, has a nice honk to it I personally like and so it seems country players do too. My take is that it’s pretty similar to a good tube screamer, but with added bass instead of reduced bass, perhaps a little more gain, a bit honker in the mids, not harsh, and a good tone control.

I don’t think mine is the greatest Od I’ve ever played, but I’ve kept playing it since I got it so there must be a lot I like about it. I think it does suit single coils better than hums, but ymmv. From what I hear the big box version doesn’t have a great bypass, but that’s solvable. Graham Coxon loves them too, so not just for Nashville!

joeleric26

Silver Supporting Member
Yep … great pedal … and yep, it does suck some tone, but it's not as bad as most let on … it depends upon your tolerance of signal purity. Plenty of of Nashville guys gig with them every night and aren't too worried it. I've almost pulled the trigger on one of the mini models a few times. Still may at some point.

MadFrank

Gold Supporting Member
I have the mini one, about $75 in mint condition, and love it. The “spectrum” knob helps keep the bass in check.
Yeah, mine is the mini. I’ve wondered if it really does sound different to the big box version though. It’s much better at 18v I found, as it’s too thick and bassy at 9v for my taste. More like a fuzz. The standard version seems clearer to me now in clips.

Last edited:

dmbandtimmy

Sweet this one is mint as well. Just no box. I know it’s an original run but is there a way to date it exactly ?
Great question, I’m not sure. Mine came with the box and instructions. I bought a nordland, have a mini and a reissue. I just wanted to compare them all.

How much did you pay?

dewey decibel

I had an original, I remember I paid $35 shipped for it brand new. I thought it sounded like a clearer Tubescreamer but with more of a bass bump than mid bump. Great sounding pedal, just needed something different at the time and while I don't remember what I sold it for I made a pretty good profit.

MadFrank

Gold Supporting Member
It’s not for everyone. I think it’ll be a bit guitar and amp dependant. I also suspect that it’s a circuit that other builders have taken and made better. Rocket have done a couple of interesting high end versions for instance.

dmbandtimmy

I happened onto it for sale locally. It was about an hour away and I had it shipped. If for some reason I don’t care for it I’ll probably sell it.
Killer deal!

I recently offered a guy $500 plus shipping for one new old stock and he turned me down. I thought $300 was high, but fair at this point in time. $75 is incredible. Great find. You can flip it for $300-500. I never sell pedals so I’ll have mine for the long haul. Now I’m on the hunt for a mint mostortion.

RickV

What is considered original for an ODR-1? I bought mine in 1999 new for <$100 (IIRC). Gigged it for a good 15 yrs. Tried many, many various replacements over those years, but always came back to the ODR-1.

I just ordered one for my 15 yr old grandson for Christmas. I might have to take it for a spin, before Santa wraps it up.

earwax

Ok so I happened to luck out on an original Nobels ODR-1 overdrive today. Get it tomorrow. What is the going price ? Just wanna know if I did ok on it. Just wanted everyone’s opinions/ dislikes and whatever else info I should know ? Thanks

Believe it or not I got super lucky and picked it up for $75
I think you didn’t need anyone to tell you got a good deal.

NWinther

It has nothing to do with a TS pedal....
Anyways it is very flexible...had one in the 90's...
Only reason I am still not using one is that it got stolen from my practise room back then!

I did not worry about the bypass back then, I do not worry now....all that bypass fetish is just boredom and there is plenty of ocd sollutions for that....if you love to complicated your life for little reasons...

I rather liked the fat low end....gives it a good juicy bounce.
I think I'll get the new one anyways....
Have other amps and pedals for this...but I just liked it back then....and my taste has not changed that much in tones.....

Daka3

I have the Mini on my, well, mini-board. I use it to goose a Timmy for leads and saturated rhythm parts. I can't decide if I like it all that much. I use a TS mini in the same slot sometimes, and to my ears, the OD-1is a quite different animal altogether. Mucho mas basso, that's for sure.

AndreasG

I just got a new one that comes with an internal switch to cut bass. Sounds great so far, also on 18V. I don‘t care about the bypass, for me it‘s good as is
And apart from the color it has nothing in common with a TS, for good or worse that is

Trending Topics