Nobels ODR-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KennyM, Feb 15, 2009.

1. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

After seeing a few of the older version ODR-1's show up on the boards of some of my favorite session players I decided to grab one off Ebay. After checking it out I gotta say this is really a great sounding overdrive. Seems to be in the TS range of gain/distortion, but without any of that nasal dentist drill quality that has always made me scratch my head about what people find so great about a TS. The tone knob has much more range and no horrible sounding mid bump.

Definitely recommend this one especially at the low price they seem to be at.

2. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Yep, best IMO for the money. Very natural and sounds great with any guitar and any amp. I sold off ALL my overdrives after I got this one.

New versions sound fine also, just a easy little mod thingy to get them back to early specs.

plexi

3. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Spent some more time with it today this time with several different amps and guitars. Sounds great with everything and has definitely earned a place on the board with all my Cornish pedals. That's certainly a statement for quality and bang for the buck overdrive.

Just for grins I pulled out a Tube Screamer to compare. Not anywhere close. The ODR-1 stayed full range and sounds great at just about every setting. Very controllable with a lot of variety of OD. Well spent $89.

4. Wilson Effects

Wilson Effects Member

Yeah, Picked one up off Ebay not too long ago with the original paper work and box in minty condition. Nice little pedal.

5. Jove

Jove Member

Picked an old green one up for 25 bucks in the used section at a Guitar Center in Vegas.

Great day.

J

6. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

how can i tell if that is an old version ODR-1?

7. elcidd

elcidd Member

My early ODR-1 is my go-to overdrive. Wish I had picked up another one when I bought mine. I can't remember how much they sold for originally, but it was pretty inexpensive.

8. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Thought I'd re-visit with an update.

I've now had this little guy since February and I just have to say this is the best overdrive I've ever come across. I've had vintage TS (not my thing), a Klon, Timmy as well as currently have a dozen or so distortion and fuzzes in addition to the 4 Cornish pedals on my board. This is the best OD of the bunch and can be dialed in to work phenomenally well with D13's, Marshalls, Fenders, Vox, just about any amp I've tried.

I love the Cornish pedals, but they really only work for me with one of my amps (BF Bandmaster). They sound amazing with this amp, but not so good to horrible with all the other amps I have. How they sound through a clean Fender or Hiwatt type amp is pretty unbeatable and makes them worth every penny to me, but.........

I can kick the ODR-1 on at any setting through any amp and it's always a great sound. I almost hate to sing it's praises here before I pick up a couple more for all my secondary pedalboards, but feel that I can't hold back on the best bang for the buck piece of gear I've purchased in years.

9. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Has anyone compared this a red snapper? Also a no-hump, full lows and highs, smooth OD.

Also, Rockett oedals is comign out with the Chicken Soup pedal, which they claim is a better version of the ODR-1

10. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

It never fails, find a good piece of gear at a decent price and someone will make a "new improved" version at twice the price.

I've had an ODR-1 on my board for at least 3 years. It's outlasted several others.

11. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I have the ODR-S Overdrive Special, the one with the 3 EQ, and I think it's a great little pedal. Even though I can dial in a good TS sound it will never replace my TS808RI.

12. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Hmm... the Rocket Pedals look interesting. In the meantime I'm on the look out for another old ODR-1 or two. Sometimes when you try to improve something you just make it different and not necessarily better. I really don't see how they could make it any better. I've never kicked it on once with any guitar and amp and didn't get a nice sound out of it.

Been a long time since I played a Red Snapper. Wasn't it suposed to be like a Tube Screamer? No way to make the ODR-1 sound like a Tube Screamer (thank god) :AOK

13. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

$39.95

14. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Even now they're still cheap for what you get. I paid $89 a few months ago.

15. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

Can you tell me the difference between the older ones and the newer ones?

16. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

RS is in no way a tube screamer. No hump, no cloud. It sounds like what people describe the ODR-1 as, so curious.

17. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I have an old green one I bought new whenever that was. It is killer. And I agree that it doesn't really sound like a Tubescreamer, but it is definitely in the Tubescreamer camp. It's pretty transparent and breaks up a lot like my bf Pro Reverb. My only issue with it is there is a bit of a bass boost, which for my current application is a dealbreaker, so I'm about to flip it. It's the kind of thing that's great for 95% of situations, and I never thought I'd sell it.

People compared the Bad Monkey to it a couple years later- IMO the ODR-1 is miles ahead of the Bad Monkey. Bad Monkey sounds like an ODR-1 with a cold.

18. Bucksears

Bucksears Supporting Member

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Toneclonepedals.com (Wampler's DIY division) has a kit of this one coming out.

19. hacker

hacker Supporting Member

I had a newer version, and it did sound very good. I also tried the anniversary editin they had out, which had a higher gain setting. Very clear in the mids and plenty of gain on both pedals, but I didn't like it as much as my Barber LTD, which is smoother on the high end when the gain is turned up.

20. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

That's the boutique industry for you. When companies mass manufacture pedals, they cut corners. They use cheap parts and make the pedal as cheap as they can.

We just took the nobels circuit and used quality parts, true bypass, and have provided some mods for it to make it a step or two even better.

However, this isn't a rockett pedal, it's a DIY build your own pedal. should be available about this time next week.

bw