Nobels Odr-1plus

Tuberoast

I was able to get one of these limited issue pedals (most places have sold out). I was surprised at how nice it sounds and how close to my amp sound it gets. Any other owners out there? Your opinions?

jpervin

I used to have the older, green version of the ODR-1 when they were stupid cheap. Kinda wish I still had it. :(
Wonder how the ODR-1 Plus compares to that?

AL30

Looking at the schematics (quickly) those things are pretty close. The + has a boost and a few other differences. Not sure how that equates tonally but the inputs and first few stages are identical with the exception of the boost.

AL

CWFurst

Extremely similar to the basic TS albeit with both clamping diodes and diode clippers to ground - that's most of what gives it it's somewhat unique sound/vibe/feel.

You could make this change to any TS (as a std modification) - you could even put it on a mini-toggle, etc. It's a hip tweak for a neat sound.
Interesting. Do you know what the differences are between the original one and the updated models (besides the boost)?

AL30

The schematics are available on Schematic Heaven under the Overdrive section.

http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects.htm

As for being similar to a TS - yes they are very similar as gtrwrks said. The ODR-1 is much more transparent than the TS however - no mid hump. It just sounds like you've turned up your amp. These are great overdrives.

AL

rob2001

There was a thread a while back on the OD-1 and some said it was not a TS circuit at all, but it's own unique thing. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Catoogie

I have both the ODR1 and the ODR1 Plus, they're great pedals. VERY amp-like and neutral sounding. Not at all like a Tube Screamer tone-wise, no mid-bump. I just got a new gig and have been working on putting a pedalboard together, these things make my AC30 sound just like itself but with MORE.

I know people rave about the old ones but I can't imagine how they'd be that much better than the current ones because the current ones are simply great!!!

CWFurst

I have both the ODR1 and the ODR1 Plus, they're great pedals. VERY amp-like and neutral sounding. Not at all like a Tube Screamer tone-wise, no mid-bump. I just got a new gig and have been working on putting a pedalboard together, these things make my AC30 sound just like itself but with MORE.

I know people rave about the old ones but I can't imagine how they'd be that much better than the current ones because the current ones are simply great!!!
Good to know. Do you use it with the bright channel on the AC30 or the normal channel?

Catoogie

I have a CC1 (the 1x12 AC30 that nobody wanted so they blew them out for under $700) and I mix both the normal and Top Boost channels.

Tuberoast

I use my ODR-1plus with a BFDR. I love both settings: normal and The boost really nails upper gain sound and your amp tone is still there

AL30

Apparently the only difference between the green and silver models is that the drive and level pots are reversed. So move them... instant green "mojo".

AL

rob2001

It is unique in a few ways - notably the circuit concerning the tone/'spectrum' control as well as the combination of diodes to ground along with the TS-type diodes in FB loop.

The buffered switching is a little diff as well.

I couldn't find the thread but as you mention, I remember someone saying it had elements from the Rat and DS-1 too. Maybe it was you!! I just didn't want anyone thinking it was a typical TS circuit. I've had both and the Nobels definitly sounds unique. Figures... I just sold my ODR-1 for super cheap and now all this talk has me wishing it was here!! Maybe i'll try the ODR-S.

SomethingOn

After two years and $4000 of pedal flipping, the Nobels ODR-1 is still my number 1 pedal and the only pedal I EVER "loved". Can't really put my finger on why I love that pedal but I guess it just fits my setup and the way I play. Gretsch/Gibson-->Nobels ODR-1-->DR Z MAZ Jr 2X12 :rolleyes:

Trending Topics