nobels overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Redbell, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Redbell

Redbell Member

I recently went to a Jerry Donahue clinic & he was getting some insane warm fat overdrive from his Peavey sig guitar into a Nobels pedal through a Peavey Blues Deluxe amp.
    He told me everything was stock production.

Anybody had any esperience with the Nobels pedals?
    I'm very interested but I thought I should see what the tone meisters around here had to say about them them.

By the way, I've now gotten all 3 Hellecasters signatures on all 3 of their cds - cool guys!

2. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

You are talking about the green Nobels ODR-1, aren't you?

I had one of these. Doesn't sound bad at all, it's really fat, but no true bypass and fairly noisy.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, that green ODR-1's the best 39 dollar I ever spent.

I've got a couple of Jorgenson signatures, too. One's on my "Hellecaster" strat and the other's on my gypsy jazz Selmer style acoustic.

*EDIT* whoops, got the wrong Hellecaster, but I do have Jerry's sig on my Morley JD10, and I think he signed my copy of 'Country Tech'

4. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

They are excellent. They can still be had new for around 60 bucks, but there aren't many dealers around. Musictoyz is one: http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/nobles.php

But I can never tell whether what they list is actually in stock or not.

The ODR-1, ODR1+ and ODR-S all have the same basic drive sound, which is very nice. Its like a higher gain tubescreamer without the "clean sound" blended in. The ODR-1 is the basic 3 knob one. You can get an almost perfectly clean boost out of it, or a lot of gain. The ODR-1+ is really great - it has a switch that allows you to substantially boost the gain and bass. It sounds just like the regular ODR-1 with the switch in its normal position.

The ODR-S has a 3 band EQ. It would seemingly make it more versatile, but I have all three of these and I find myself rarely using the ODR-S.

They're well worth having. I have no doubt that if these were sold as "boutique" they could be sold for $2-300 and people would at the same time wait in line for them and bitch about the high price.

5. landru64

landru64 Member

actually all odr1s are not created equal. i've had about 9 of them. there are essentially two variants, and there's no obvious way to find out which one you're getting... one has very low gain and is great for pushing amps. the other has more gain, but can get mushy and flabby quickly.

6. fatback

fatback Member

I still grab my ODR-1 for the occasional grab-and-go jam.
    :AOK:

7. PhilC

PhilC Supporting Member

I've had a couple of the old green ODR-1's and I got the newer one as well. The new silver one didn't sound anything at all like the old green ones. They both were well worth the $50 or so I paid for them. The newer ones were more akin to a fulldrive. The older ones were very fat and had more than enough gain for pushing a nice tube amp. All of mine would have been useless for gigging because they're built like such crap that the switching and mechanical noise was awful -- but once they were engaged they sounded great. I have some friends who gig with theirs and they don't seem to have the same switching pops as I did.

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Same findings here. I was on a real pedal buying craze at one time, and I bought about 4 of them. Three of them were very low output and not much gain, and one of them had ALOT of volume and gain. I ended keeping the one with the most volume and gain. I don't ever play it and it stays in it's box. It's just not as versitile tonaly as some of my other OD's. Just my 2 pennies.

9. middlepickup

middlepickup Member

I've used both the Nobles ODR-1 and the ODR-S (older, green models). They were good $40 pedals for their time (90's). Today's equivalent might be the Bad Monkey, which is better built. Tiny plastic knobs and plastic input/output jacks pose problems at a gig. Good for fiddling around in bedroom or at rehearsal.

10. stucker

stucker Member

I have an old green ODR-1 and a newer silver model (my backup). The old model has a little more gain and output, and is a little less noisy, but both have the same basic character.

I would describe that character as a very natural, amp-like overdrive. It's great for those lower gain, cranked amp tones, and the overtones are perfect (not a lot of beats when doing double-stop licks).

It works well with clean or cranked amps. I love the way it beefs up single coils for blues or vintage rock tones. A lot of great players use them (listen to Rob McNelley with Delbert McClinton's band).

11. AL30

AL30 Member

The ODR-1 is a good little secret. Hard to find, but can be had with a little leg work. Great sounding pedal. Also works very well as a clean boost. I picked up two of them (green models) after seeing a band in Nashville comprised of all studio musicians (ouch was that humbling). Both guitarists were using these. The pedal boards these guys had cost more than my car so I think that speaks pretty well for the "lowly" ODR-1.

I also have an ODR-S. It's similar. I get a lot more gain out of the ODR-S and use it for a mild/fuzzed out lead tone.

I think the only difference in the older (green) and newer models is the drive and level pots are switched around.

AL

12. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

I just purchased an ODR-1 from Guitar Emporium down the street from my house. It was kind of an impulse buy but justified by gear page raves:D . $50, I couldn't pass it up, this pedal sounds killer- low gain, retains bass, sounds very amplike and neutral, and a good amount of output on tap, totally impressed. It sounds way better than a lot of overdrives I've had this year.

13. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Have the older green one. Great pedal for the money.

14. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

While not an OD box,I really like my Nobles DD-800 delay.The tone control not only just cuts the high end,but as it's turned counter-clockwise,the lower amount of repeats available and the general signal degrading gives a nice faux tube echo vibe to the tones.The ability to blend both modes to taste is a big plus,as well.Btw,they can still be had for under $80.00...making the DD-800 an excellent value in a modestly priced digital delay.

Ed

15. scolfax

scolfax Member

16. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

17. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

18. scolfax

scolfax Member

Wow! That's a big step up from the $39 they were originally selling for!