Nobody Appreciates Me...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitpicker, Jan 30, 2006.

1. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

This is a chance to bitch (which of course, if we all are honest, we love) about dealing with situations (ie bands) where no one else seems to understand why effects pedals are so important to our musicality...

I play in two different bands (twice the number of bands - twice the number of gigs, go figure...), but neither of my bands has anyone in them that appreciates the time, effort, and $$ that I expend trying to get the best tone I can achieve in order to make the band sound the best it can - via my effects pedals. I recently got myself involved in a (frustrating) discussion with a fellow guitar player concerning effects. He has some cheap digital multi-effects pedalboard and can't understand why I spend more on a singal delay pedal than he spends on ALL of his effects.

HELP!!!

I don't believe there is any solution, just tell me your stories and let me know that I am not the only, solitary, soul out there who thinks this Sh*t is important!!! I am not trying to change the world, but there are alot of people out there who come into my bars, who work hard, who just want to get away from it all for a few hours, and they deserve it!....

TONE matters.... this is my position....

2. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Another angle: Tone Ranging can really side track you from what's important. Yes, I really think that we should pay attention to the gear we play with but after that be done with it.. In my band the situation is a bit like this: me and the other guitarist are total gear maniacs. The drummer and bassist don't give a **** but the keyboardist is interested a bit too..
    Well, actually yesterday even our bassist complimented the sound of my EGDM, so that's really something...

Anyway, I often find myself thinking about guitar pedals (even if I already have a totally great setup that we'll allow me to do my job) when I should be thinking about our songs, should be rehearsing guitar, singing, thinking about arrangements and so on... Just another angle :)

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I don't think it's a discussion you can win, or one that I would waste any time on. It's possible that you don't sound noticeably better to them. Some of the things you feel and hear in your rig are really only perceptible to you because you remember the purchase and the time spent tweaking and comparing. I bet you most people, even some guitarists, aren't going to notice the difference between a Digitech x series delay and an Echotap.

I can't imagine wanting to be appreciated for my effects purchases... I would focus on my playing because that is one thing they are sure to notice.

4. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

You should do these things for yourself and not expect anyone to give you props. It's great that you're spending the $$ to do what you feel you have to do, but the guys you're playing with aren't. Do you want to make music, or surround yourself with a bunch of gear freaks? :)

I know a guy who plays a beat down Epi Les Paul and one of those Digitech multi effects boxes through a solid state Fender combo. Guess what...he runs me out of the room with his chops. He could be playing through an amplified trash can and he would own at least 50% of the guitar-playing universe.

It's not the gear, it's the man (or woman...heeeey ladies ;)) behind it. If you have nothing to say as a musician, 15K worthof gear won't say it for you. If you have plenty to say, you can get it on with a Hondo Strat and a Crate practice amp. I've seen it happen. for what it's worth, I'm in your camp...but I've never wondered or cared if anyone else appreciates it. I apprecaite it, and that's what matters. My tone is my own :D

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Some people just have lead ears ;) There's a guy in a local band, been playing for 40 years or more, classic rock and country. He's owned a brown Fender Super since new and gigs with that and a 115 extension cab with an old Jensen-obviously a killer amp. His guitar is an old and somewhat beat LP Deluxe-also a killer guitar. In between he has one of those Digitech boxes, set for some kind of Distortion+ type distortion. It sounds terrible. I've suggested a few changes to him, offered him some of my pedals to try-nada, he LIKES the sound of cheesy, overprocessed digital distortion through an $1800 amp! Nothing can be done...

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

I've been in the same situation a few times, a friend who I used to play with, has one of those digitech RP20 with a tube, and he thinks that his getting the best of both worlds; Another friend has a pedalboard full of mass produced pedals, not that there's anything wrong with that, but he has some noisy ones and he don't notice them :NUTS, another friend is playing through a JCM900 marshall head with a 410 cab in a tiny room in his apartment :confused:, getting into an argument with them would be extremely frustating, when I told them that I was searching for a new amp they all suggested what they though was a great amp, nevermind their suggestions, I'm going my way, I, myself played through a Mfx units not long ago and I though I sounded good until I started recording myself, that's when I went tone ranging, they don't understand me right now, hopefully when I'm done, they'll notice the differences I'm talking about.

Those units aren't that easy to tweak and you have to know what you're looking for in order to seat down and get the sounds your hearing, in any situation I would try to convince them to play through some of my stuff or try to tweak theirs in order to achive what I think it's good sound/tone, then again this is if they let you.

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

my band (I'm the only guitar player) used to rag on me about my constant acquisitions of pedals. Until they realized that I was sounding good and adding some really cool things to the sound. Now they respect my choices, even if they can't hear the difference when my diamond comp is on or off. Guess I got lucky :BEER

8. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

I don't think you could have an "academic" discussion about this...best way is to do a side by side comparison making the test equipment as equal as possible varying only the effect used...let your bud play his stuff for himself...unless s/he truly does have "lead ears" ...the tone will set them free :angel

"You're good enough, you're smart enough...and dang it WE like you..." :JAM

9. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I hear ya man. My wife's wedding/party band's guitar player is a great example. He plays a squier strat into a bunch of boss pedals with a morley wah into one of those SS crate light up knob amps. Sometimes he even uses one of those zoom 505 II's for good measure!

He looks to me and points at the BOSS pedals and goes "Those are the TONE man..." Now being that I frequent TGP and know the difference, I silently chuckle and know he would NEVER justify spending $2-300 on A pedal.

However, YA KNOW WHAT? He's a great player and the tone he DOES manage to get through that setup is surprising to say the least. So while we probably WOULD sound better through our TIMs, BJFEs, FULLTONE, and what not, he's doesn't NEED it.. to where to say I think I DO! :Spank

However for some perspective, I recently recorded them doing (Christina Aguilera's version of, but heavier) Lady Marmalade. When I went to mix them down, what was he most GONZO over? Not the tone, but the FLANGER... "Put on more! no MORE!" When I had the jet airplane going, we was like a little kid doing the fist thing back sayin "YESSSSSS!" The 80's has had a PROFOUND "effect" on some people I guess. :NUTS