Nobody merges anymore

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RevWillie, Apr 25, 2016.

1. RevWillie

RevWillie Gold Supporting Member

I must be old or something but when my lane is closing and the sign says to Merge, I watch out for traffic and move into the open lane. I know a lot of people race ahead and try to merge at the last second - don't like it, but I understand it and occasionally do it.

But I've noticed that people DO NOT MERGE any more, they just stay in the closing lane driving the same speed, make no effort to move over, and pay no attention to cars in the next lane. They follow their side of the road, getting closer and closer to the cars in the next lane - if I don't make room for them they will just hit me. If I am parallel to them and don't slow down and let them pull in front of me, then they let me know I'm the asshole.

I guess people just can't be bothered to be aware of their surroundings or deviate from what THEY are doing.

As is proven to me on a daily basis "My fellow driver is a moron"

greyhound, Mngwa, Probos and 3 others like this.
  2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

If your lane is ending and the sign reads "Merge" it means that YOU must merge into the other lane......the drivers in the other lane have right-of-way.......

Mngwa, pbmw and stratotastic like this.
  3. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

I don't see many problems with that around here, although we're plagued by old farts who think they can merge onto the highway at 30 miles per hour. Instant traffic jam.

frankg11, RevWillie and Polynitro like this.
  4. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

Problems at the Massey Tunnel Rev? :)

Nevets and RevWillie like this.
  5. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Mngwa, RevWillie and Fred Farkus like this.
  6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I like the flipside of this - you have your turn signal on for a half a mile and the guy in the lane you are trying to move into maintains perfect blind spot speed.

pbmw, frankg11 and 4inchjones like this.
  7. burner

burner Member

In my state, at the end of the ramp, we actually have a YIELD sign.

So this means: Slow down or Stop if you have to.

It's so frustrating because people frequently do just that rather than judging the flow as they approach and folding into traffic. At that point the ramp gets bottlenecked while they try to accelerate from zero and merge.

27sauce likes this.
  8. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

i'm glad you do. keep spreading the word.

RevWillie likes this.
  9. gigs

gigs Member

What amazes me is that there are people who think human nature is going to change. It never does.

pbmw and 4inchjones like this.
  10. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Will do. Honestly, if we did no more than convince everyone to just let one person in we'd be ahead of where we are now.

I don't think human nature will change, but specific behavior can.

Peace,

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    RevWillie likes this.
  11. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

I have a difficult merge on the drive home, a very short exit onto a freeway, and if I cant get over in time, I'm shlupped off to a street I dont want to be on.

I signal, and speed up, and do everything a decent driver would do, to find an open slot to get into, onto the freeway.

The real problem is these jerks who will actually speed up, to NOT let me over. I see it everyday.

Its not just that drivers are stupid, selfish, having a torrid love affair with their cel phones, all of that... its also that they're just plain inconsiderate and downright mean.

lefort_1 and RevWillie like this.
  12. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

13. RevWillie

RevWillie Gold Supporting Member

I'm fine with the zipper merge - if the other person at least tries to merge by speeding up or slowing down to fit into the lane they are moving into! I keep running into these idjits that pull alongside, go the same speed I am, and expect me to get out of THEIR way.

If the other car is mostly in front of me, of course I'll slow to let them in! I make room for others all the time.

Mngwa, Fred Farkus and lefort_1 like this.
  14. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

I was behind a minivan yesterday that just stopped in front of me at a yield sign on a ramp coming off an interstate and into a county highway from the right side. They had plenty of room (at least two lanes were clear) to merge to their left, but apparently could not comprehend the concept. Lots of that in N. VA.

RevWillie likes this.
  15. Badfinger

Badfinger Member

Drive thru the Lincoln or Holland tunnel, the orderly merging that goes on will revive your faith in humanity! I kid you not...

16. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

One of the mega merges locally is on to the north end of the Lions Gate Bridge (four lanes into one, at times), and it works very well. In fact, I can't remember the last time I didn't see someone alternate as they are supposed to.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  17. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Funny, when I looked right now on the pub menu this thread was directly above the Prince "Merged mega thread."

We still merge well on TGP apparently.

RevWillie likes this.
  18. muzishun

muzishun Member

Not really right of way. You are supposed to allow traffic in.....so are legally expected to take part in safe merging.

But people now act like you are changing lanes, and will do anything to not allow that, which is dangerous.

19. Madsen

Madsen Member

i believe there is an imaginary stock car race going on in about a third of drivers minds. letting you in would mean defeat.

filtersweep and taco-man like this.