NOC3 Pure Drive = "warmer" Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Aug 24, 2008.

1. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

I'm loving the Timmy, but like all "transparent & uncompressed" overdrive, it tends to be rather "cold", if you know what I mean.

Especially with the gain up, it starts to be bright/harsh/brittle.

I'd love a touch of that TS9-ish warmth to the drive, and could use a little compression/saturation to the overall tone.

And I was looking at the NOC3 Pure Drive. Sounds like a perfect answer to my search. Could that be my solution? A fairly transparent, responsive low-gain overdrive, but a "warmer" tone?

2. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Timmy takes some time to really know well, and it can do what you need, especially with changing Op amps.... I prefer the TIM myself, the pull out pot at the back, seperate drive pot beside -gets instantly more compressable!

3. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I wouldn't call the NOC3 "warm" really. Been a long time since I had one though and my memory might not be perfect.

4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Its definitely smoother than the Tim.

5. readymade

readymade Supporting Member

I agree with the second poster. The boost side of the Tim can really be used to warm things up; lately I've been leaving the boost on all the time and adjusting the first channel accordingly to achieve a really, really great OD sound.

6. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

+1 I can only speak for the Timmy but, while I liked the Pure Drive a lot, I found it more polite (smoother) than the Timmy. FWIW, I liked it best as a very low gain drive, just beyond a boost.

7. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

Hey phish, I think you played one of the very early prototype ones back when I was still building them PTP. Those were a bit brighter because I used metal film resistors and the circuit has had a few updates since then.

FYI, there are less than 10 PTP Pure Drives out in circulation, so don't count on finding one of those. Anything with a PCB in it will have more of the warmness. The new compact version has a couple more updates and IMO, the best sound. The Compact Pure Drive also has two internal trimmers for a total of 4 tone controls, which enables you tweak every aspect of your EQ without touching the mids.

I would agree with the other posts that the Pure Drive is more on the smooth side of things. If you want to open up the sound you can tweak the internal treble trimmer to allow a little more high end bite and that will give the drive more of a crunchy character.

Hope you like it!
    -Nick

8. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

i love my noc3 pure drive.

t is a great low OD option. the boosty side can be great. reminds me of a fuzz-ish type mid thingie.

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

NOC3 Pure Drive is like a bigger and fuller sounding Sparkle Drive.

Both are very TS-ish but the Pure Drive get more amp-like.

10. Zelja

Zelja Member

Have you tried to roll the treble off on your Timmy? -i.e. turn it clockwise, as the controls are backwards. Maybe all you need. Can get a lot smoother this way. Very usable tone controls on the Tim/Timmy.

11. steinwand

steinwand Member

I have both the Timmy and the PureDrive.
    Wich one is warmer, depends on the definition and taste :horse
    Both have their specialities.
    What sets the PureDrive apart is the possibility to mix in the
    clean guitar signal and the inside trimpots.
    The Timmy has the best tone control there is.
    Cutting bass and treble instead of amplifying it,
    is the way all pedals should work and a sound engineers dream.