Nocaster (changing to modern wiring)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by usc96, Feb 22, 2009.

1. usc96

usc96 Member

I'm considering changing my nocaster to modern wiring. Has anyone done this, and if so, is it something one can do by themselves or should I go to a luthier? Does anyone know of a video showing how to do it? What tools do I need? Mine came with this worksheet:

[​IMG]

2. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

I have wired my Strat several times and went from SCN pups, the Laces, back to SCN, wired in S-1 Switching , took the S-1 out, which is where I am at now. The only advice I have is that if you plan properly, take your time, and while your at it upgrade the parts inside including maybe a good cooper shiled for the pickgaurd, you can do it yourself. I will see what I can find online for you. GL!

3. shuie

shuie Member

It's pretty easy, but if you want to preserve the original wiring for resell, or whatever, then just replace the entire control plate. Unless you are an ace with a soldering iron it's not going to be real clean if you remove resistor & the jumpers on the switch and then try to return everything to stock. I had no use for the stock wiring and just pulled all of the stuff off of mine, but people seemed to care when I went to sell the guitar.

4. usc96

usc96 Member

Well I bought a soldering iron and was fully prepared to make the change, but when I started looking at it and comparing it to the diagram, I was completely lost. Doesn't seem to match up.