Nocaster disappointment

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Aaron Robinson, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

***UPDATE*** no load tone pot was the issue, or perceived issue.

Got my new nocasters in yesterday and slapped them in my tele. Im not sure if its the tele or what but they are waaaaay brighter than the OV's I had in my american special tele. they were advertised and praised as being warmer. nope. I like the neck pickup alot but the bridge is iceyyyyyyyyy and thin. There's a certain unpleasant "zing" to them as well.

I ordered a GFS hotter 52 alnico 5 bridge. They said that it helps with icey teles. We will see.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. dazco

dazco Member

Strange. I have used both in the bridge tho not neck, and the original vintage was way brighter. The nocaster was darker and just a much fuller better sounding pickup in both a classic 50's and a classic 60's. Did you adjust the height on them or just slap em in? By the way, if you wanna warm up a bright tele and still sound like a tele as far as bridge pup at least, try a fender 62 custom. On ebay they're around 40 bucks and they have a very good rep on the tele forum. They are all i used in all my teles since i discovered them. A2 but without the negatives you might feel about A2. They just have that A2 fullness tho and they otherwise sound like a good vintage tele bridge pickup.

3. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Playing with the height may help.

4. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

Why'd you switch out the OVs? Just curious. I love those pickups.

5. darkinners

darkinners Member

Actually it's the glass that made me bought my CS Nocaster..
    If you really want a warmer, woolier sound, you can slap some higher output pickups in it.
    But honestly I think the Boardcaster bright and Nocaster neck pickups are some of the BEST sounding Fender pickups out there..

dirk_benedict likes this.
  6. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

i didnt. i traded off that tele and missed the sound. Thought id try nocasters in my tele i just got since people said they were even better yet similar to the OV's.

7. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

I've tried them high and a bit lower. I had the OV's at the ol nickel and two nickel heights and they were perfect.

8. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

If you want a warmer tone, maybe solder a Twisted Tele bridge pickup in. A lot of Custom Shops have been coming out with that pickup.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Are you folks assuming that the current production Fender Nocaster pickups are the same as CS Nocaster with its stock pickups? Here is a clue. If I parted out my Nocaster and sold the bridge? It sound so magical 3d with no harshness, I would expect its value alone to be $150+. That is just the bridge pickup. Only a few would know of its worth. Others would be forking up the full price of New Nocasters. I really do not think they are the same.

10. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

Ideally Id like it to balance well with the nocaster neck. so i dont want a hot pickup.

11. mikendzel

mikendzel Gold Supporting Member

I have a Fralin Split Blade SP in the bridge of my Crook. I had it wound "super hot" and it matches very well with the Fralin Twangmaster in the neck, despite the neck being "underwound." The resistance is almost double on the bridge, of what the neck is. You may find that a hot bridge may work!

12. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

The old Nocaster bridge is much hotter than the new one.

13. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

The only Nocasters I've run into were some of the best pickups I've ever heard in any category. Just magical.

Jon Silberman and Aaron Robinson like this.
  14. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

That's why I bought them! Maybe I'll figure them out. I'm thinking my no load tone pot is the culprit. I'll fiddle with them again later on.

15. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

Ran home on my lunch, lowered the bridge pickup treble side a bit, raised the neck treble side, and took the tone down past the no load notch .

Much better now! Thanks guys .

agiehler likes this.
  16. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

Mine were the best passive pickups I heard in a tele. Fairly bright, but with some oomph, and the high end was not ice-picky in the least. Play with the height. I would wager they are too close to the strings.

darkinners likes this.
  17. gtrguru

gtrguru Member

I tried the Nocasters and didn't like them. They sounded pretty lifeless in my Tele. The specs and description made them sound like the perfect pups for me but I couldn't bond with them. My favorite so far are still the Fender CS Texas Specials.

tamader74 and pepedede like this.
  18. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

When I read your thread title, for a second I thought you didn't like your Nocaster guitar.

Your talking about Nocaster pickups...

Oh.

PS: I always liked my Nocaster picks ups when they came with the Nocaster guitars I have purchased.

Baxtercat and Aaron Robinson like this.
  19. coot tone

coot tone Member

I had a set, and liked them. Like my Don Mare's better, though.

Aaron Robinson likes this.
  20. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I love the Twisted Tele in my Masterbuilt.

kidmandude and Aaron Robinson like this.