Nocaster owners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Have you found a more pleasing Tele tone in pickups other than the stock CS Nocasters? If so, what are they?

2. teleman1

teleman1 Member

I am seriously thinking of CS nocasters for my Thinline.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I never tried, but have heard many times {live}, the CS Nocasters but my '95 Cunetto had a bridge pickup that I felt was way too hot & hard sounding. Go figure, most people love them. I've tried a bunch of winds and they all were respect worthy, however, the set that I settled on was the Lollar GVCS staggered A3 set. Very woody & rock sounding. I presently only have the bridge in my tele with a Mare Stelly in the neck. So far, great sounding. I'll probably wire back in the Lollar neck next time I have the iron out because I miss the warmer neck tone, but the Stelly is a great clear & throaty sounding pickup, too.

Again, lots of great winds available, with the current CS Nocaster being one of them.

4. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Thanks, guys.

5. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

I recently put a Don Mare "S-Telly" in the neck, and a Don Mare "0038" in the bridge of my Nocaster. Absolutely AMAZING pickups. I loved the stock CS pups, but these are just otherworldly.

6. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I use a 0038 bridge pickup in another Tele and agree with you totally.

7. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

i heard this guitar with these pickups and my mouth dropped to the floor.

+2 for 0038 and stelly neck.

8. Loobster

Loobster Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Some guys like to hear that their boutique aftermarket pickup sounds better than the stock pickup. I've played several Nocasters that have always sounded phenomenal just the way they are, why futz with perfection? It's not like Fender are installing substandard pickups in these guitars. Some of you guys just make life difficult for yourselves!

9. mikelaw

mikelaw Member

i couldn't agree with this statement more.

that being said, if you heard don mare's against stock pickups in the same guitar i guarantee you would splurge for don mare's. they are impressive!

10. Loobster

Loobster Member

I would love to hear his pickups, I'm not against going with better sounding gear at all, don't get me wrong. I'd be a hypocrite if I said I wasn't into 'nice' gear - my Warmoth Tele Deluxe is either having Fralin or Bare Knuckle pickups going into it.

11. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Yes, Lollar Vintage neck and a Lollar Special Bridge. I installed a set in a Nocaster and wow, now he is cooking with gas. Less harsh, less brittle, and slightly warmer.

12. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I've been through allot of Tele pick-up's and recently installed a set of CS 51' Nocasters in my American Standard tele and couldn't be happier. My hunt is over.

13. Billy Penn

Billy Penn Member

I'm really digging my Lollar Special T set in my ash body maple neck Tele I built. Sounds huge....

14. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

+1.............I've owned mine for 5 years now and would never even consider changing the p/u's as the guitar is perfect in my estimation:nono

15. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Supporting Member

this is how I feel about my Nocaster which I've owned for nearly 5 years. In my opinion is has the PERFECT Tele tone. Why tempt fate?

16. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I like the Nocaster pickups, but was simply curious about what others may have found. Some of these other pickup makers really have their own thing going on so I thought it worth asking.

17. fancychords

fancychords Member

I love it when people say.."My search is over"..I've said that phrase 100 times and guess what??I lied..It's never over...

18. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

If I buy another guitar any time soon that doesn't have "Gretsch" on the headstock, it'll be a NoCaster..... and I'll equip it with Don Mare pickups...:aok

jb

19. WrapAround

WrapAround Member

In my '96 Cunetto, I've tried a few, especially in the bridge position: Lollar Vintage, SD Jerry Donohue, SD Broadcaster, 2 boutique pickups I can't remember the name of, Fralin '59 and, of course, the stock pickup. I like the Fralin stayed in there the most and the Lollar 2nd. But what I'm using now is GFS's rail pickup in the bridge (with the '59 in the neck position) and I think it'll stay in there for a while. My Nocaster is a bit different than most since it has a distressed P/w style B-bender (by Bill Bores), though.

20. pekip

pekip Member

Lollar specials are my choice,little more open and snarl!
    Originals are not bad either.......