Nocaster pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Iceman63, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Iceman63

Iceman63 Member

Hello all,
    I'm not very experienced with Teles. What is the overall difference in nocaster pups(Im thinking they're custom shop) as opposed to other standard Tele pups, I mean tonal wise?
    Thanks for any info.

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

IN reference to the bridge PU of a Nocaster. It is a more full complex tone. Not ice pick and not sharp bell ringy. Fat smooth??? All I know is that mine is set up Esquire on my Nocaster. I had a partsoesquire and had an Antiquity in the bridge and my comparison above is mainly against the Antiquity. And the Antiquity is a great sounding pickup, bi to my ears the Nocaster sounds better in all arenas. Ok now lets hear some other opinions and better explanations than mine.

3. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Depends which era you are referring too?
    Early ones were 10k(bridge) and the more current are 7.2k(or there about's), both have the zinc coated base plate.

Grungy :D

4. tonecontrol

tonecontrol Supporting Member

they`re a good pick up choice, I`ve been through a lot of Tele pick ups and find the nocaster set works the best for me, chimey/full yet not too filling!

5. Iceman63

Iceman63 Member

Thanks guys. It's a partscaster, so I would definately say they are re-issues or whatever the more recent are. The neck says Broadcaster, the guy selling it thinks it's an Allparts neck. Are they ok?

6. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Allparts gets some respect around here as a lot of guys use them. I don't think those Nocaster pickups will let you down either. I'm happy with mine.

7. goodwater

goodwater Member

I think that they're great PUs---best tele PUs that I've played

8. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Depends what you mean by "other standard Tele Pups." What do you consider "standard?"

FWIW, Nocasters and OVs are my fave Fender bridge pups for Teles. Nocasters are little brighter, complex and less woody than the OVs. I like the OV in a Tele along with a great neck pup for a cool vintage sound; Nocaster seems to rock a little harder though. If I were doing an Esquire though I'd definitely use the Nocaster -- more versatile.

9. schitzkaput

schitzkaput Member

10. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Those are the ones we're talking about.

11. Bitflogger

Bitflogger Member

I've got a set of Nocasters and have tried Original Vintage as well as standard and Bill Lawrence Keystones.

My description would be more like Original Vintage but balanced output between front and back and less sharp bridge tone.

You might want to consider the Keystones if Noscasters interest you. They're a bargain, have 3rd lead so you could do 4-way and they're surprisingly inexpensive nice item from a living legend.

Nocaster vs Keystone vs OV tone: The Keystones are more microphone-like and responsive. I feel especially so for the neck pickup. This can be nice and if you roll back the knob they'll sound less responsive and more like a Nocaster or OV. I'd say the OV bridge is farthest from ice pick tone of the 4 sets I've tried.

I am new here and don't know if Bill Lawrence is known here as he is at other sites. His content an info is worth checking out even if you don't buy his pickups.

12. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

The Nocaster bridge PU is the best Tele bridge PU that I have tried & sounds very close to the PU in my '52 Fender lapsteel. I like the Nocaster neck PU as well; woody is a good descriptor. However, the neck PU in the last set of Nocasters that I bought was DOA & I picked up a Twisted Tele neck PU to replace it and have been very happy with the combo. The TT is a bit more Stratty, while still retaining most of the character of a Tele neck PU. With a 4-way switch, they are an extremely versatile pair of PU's.

13. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Fender has been making some great single coils lately that rival (or possibly even surpass the boutique ones.

Especially the Nocaster, Broadcaster, Twisted Tele.

14. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

No kidding. You could put many of the Fender pickups in guitars and put them up against the boutiques that get so much love only to find that the Fenders would get chosen in a blind taste test as often as any of the great small winders out there.

I've played so many of the boutiques and there are lots of them that are really great. I talked to Lindy Fralin about it quite a while ago and he said that he thought his pickups were more consistent, but that Fender could REALLY wind great pickups too. :)

15. ultradust

ultradust Member

Though I can only speak for myself, the mid 2000s CS Nocaster bridge pickup I have is mildy microphonic and delightfully airy in tone, sounding just barely hotter than MIA '52 RIs I've played.

A great all-around pickup.

16. thesooze

thesooze Member

My favorite Tele pups. Good midrange, not too trebly/bitey. Rock bridge sound; clear, piano-like neck sound. Just fantastic.

17. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Fixed.

18. M40A1

M40A1 Member

With regard to Fender Custom Shop pups, what is the difference between the bridge versions of the Nocaster, Hot Nocaster, and Flatpole Broadcaster? Or more specifically, is the Flatpole Broadcaster the same thing as the Hot Nocaster?

19. Iceman63

Iceman63 Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah this is a parts Tele built around 07', and of good parts according to my guitar tech. I took it to him for a going over after I bought it. I do like the Nocaster pups. Clean, in position 2, omg! Really nice. Nice overdriven as well.

20. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

:agree