• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Noel Gallagher is on par with either Lennon or McCartney

Highway Man

But isn't this only true for you if you are from the UK? Like very specific to place and time?
I don’t know. I was born 2 years before Def. Maybe, and Oasis are loved by generations of people throughout the UK, Europe and Japan (weirdly). I travel into Europe regularly, and it’s actually impossible to go out to somewhere with a jukebox or a covers band and not hear at least one Oasis song.

dlguitar64

I don’t know. I was born 2 years before Def. Maybe, and Oasis are loved by generations of people throughout the UK, Europe and Japan (weirdly). I travel into Europe regularly, and it’s actually impossible to go out to somewhere with a jukebox or a covers band and not hear at least one Oasis song.
We all know(as The Beatles did) that how you do in America is the only thing that matters, and Oasis was just one of many 2 or 3 hit wonders.

In 88 I was riding on a bus in Korea and the driver was blasting Rubber Soul . My First thought was wow the Beatles are still a global phenomena

interesting stories
https://www.sfchronicle.com/movies/...n-Oasis-story-emerges-in-wake-of-10630846.php

https://therecoup.com/2019/06/28/book-excerpt-joel-gions-craziest-gig-experience/

Vash33

Silver Supporting Member
Gallagher will be on par with Lennon or McCartney when one of his albums gets credit for inspiring one of the most iconic "evil personalities" and string of murders of the 20th century.

Hawkmoon269

Irrational BOSS Fanatic
Silver Supporting Member
Think how much of a cultural phenomenon Oasis were in the 90’s.
Now multiply that by about 10 and you’re still not even close to the impact The Beatles had on their contemporary society and culture.
Now, factor in the influence over the decades since.
The Beatles basically created any kind of rock or pop that isn’t the 12 bar blues.
OP is ridiculous.
As stated about 50 times elsewhere in this thread, this isn’t a measure of cultural impact or pioneering of musical styles. Just that Noel Gallagher is a great songwriter and Oasis were a better live band.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
Where did I say Oasis were better live than The Beatles? That was clearly a reply that was comparing Noel to Tweedy and Adams, after you insisted they were both better than Noel, as if it was a fact rather than an opinion.

Also, I haven’t put a title in any of my posts. Are you confusing me for someone else?

See, here is your problem. You don't have the same amount of familiarity with the Tweedy/Adams catalog, as I do with the Noel catalog. You cannot make a fair comparison if you don't have that.

For instance, I can tell you what I consider Noel's better Oasis songs album-by-album. I'm very familiar with the Oasis catalog. I own every record and have listened to it extensively.

Definitely Maybe
Rock-n-Roll Star (solid tune, nothing great)
Live Forever (good tune)
Up in the Sky (solid tune)
Supersonic (real good tune)
Cigarettes and Alchohol (solid tune, pretty much a rip off though)
Slide Away (OK tune)

What's the Story
Hello (solid opening tune)
Wonderwall (real good tune)
Don't Look Back in Anger (real good tune)
Some Might Say (real good tune)
Cast No Shadow (good tune)
Morning Glory (real good tune)
Champaign Super Nova (real good tune, horrible lyrics, but a lot of their lyrics are bad)

The Masterplan
Acquiesce (real good tune, probably one of my favorites)
Half the World Away (solid tune)
The Masterplan (solid tune)

Be Here Now

Don't You Know What I Mean (solid tune)
My Big Mouth (I guess it's OK. It's pretty much recycled everything they've done)
Don't Go Away (good tune)
Be Here Now (solid tune)
All Around the World (solid tune)

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants
Go Let It Out (solid tune)
Where did it all go wrong (solid tune)
I can see a liar (real good tune)
Roll it over (solid tune)

Heathen Chemistry
Ghert (really good tune)
Clocks (solid tune)
She is Love (really good tune)

Don't Believe the Truth
Turn Up the Sun (good tune)
Lyla (good tune
The Importance of Being Idle (really good tune. Noel at creative best)
Let There Be Love (really good song--one of my Noel favorites)

Dig out Your Soul
Wait for the Rapture (good tune)
The Shock of Lightening (solid tune)
I'm Outta Time (solid tune)

So there you have it. I'm extremely familiar with their music.

Can you do the same for Tweedy/Wilco and Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown?

Ryan Adams with Whiskeytown probably wrote as many good songs as Noel has. If you'd like me to point out the best songs for each so we can do a comparison, then we can, but again, I don't think you have near the knowledge of Ryan Adams and Tweedy as I do with Noel.

Emigre

I was in uni at the height of Britpop and everyone was clued that Oasis were hyped due to the fake Oasis vs Blur competition which was nothing more than record label marketing generated for attention. And quite successfully so.

Blur, Pulp, Verve, Stone Temple Pilots all had their cult following and were seen as important culturally, Oasis was a guitar pop band derivative of the Beatles with two annoying AF frontmen.

That was the vibe of the era.

They smashed a few hits but then again, Vindaloo was a hit.

PRW

Before Beatlemania overwhelmed everything, even as late as '64, The Beatles were on the short list of best bands on the planet. Lennon himself said there was no one in England who could touch them live, and few people from that era have questioned his assessment. To judge them as a live band from the insane Beatlemania days when they were trying to get over jet plane decibel levels of screaming from teenagers with the most primitive equipment (including no monitors in all but a handful of cases) and one roadie setting everything up is a bit unfair IMO.

PRW

Also, IMO the genesis of such threads ... although in this case I'll take the OP at his word that he's trying to praise Oasis not diss The Beatles in this one ... is a contrariness over the fact that with all that's happened in the 51 years since the four of them played a note together, all the different directions that music has gone, The Beatles are still considered the Alpha and the Omega and the Sine Qua Non of rock bands and placed on a pedestal that is inviolate and unassailable.

Serious question for the UK guys . How did Radiohead s popularity compare to the original rise of Oasis ? Was it about the same ? Am I off by a few years . They were contemporaries

Trending Topics

Top Bottom