NOGD: 1999 Fender Custom Shop Time Machine '56 Relic Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kursatcoruhlu, Apr 22, 2015.

1. kursatcoruhlu

kursatcoruhlu Member

I have been wanting a "vintage sounding" strat for some time but couldn't find anything that would make me pull the trigger.

Than a trade offer for my PRS SC245 came out of nowhere with this one. I wasn't sure about the 10/56 V neck profile which i never tried before but i said what the hell, let's do it. And boom, it's not really a V profile, it's almost like a C.

Here she is, i just love her! :drool

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Strat87

Strat87 Member

3. kev

kev Member

Congratulations, that's a beauty! The 10/56 carve is my favorite Fender carve.

4. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I have the exact same guitar--same year, same finish, everything. I bought it new in fall of '99. It's my oldest guitar and I'm never selling it. Mid-99 is the first time Fender finally corrected the shape of the headstock on their custom shop strats. Do you have the certificate? These '99 models still had the certificate with handwritten calligraphy (I think they switched to printed certs in 2000). Congrats!

5. kursatcoruhlu

kursatcoruhlu Member

Thanks a lot everyone!

@Shark Sandwitch;

I wish i did. Hardcase isn't the original either, no case, no paper work, no case candy. :)
    Is yours a Relic too? If so, does yours have any finish on the back of the neck?

Fender's mail was a little confusing by the way. They said it's a "Closet Classic" one(based on the sn) but the neck and the body has that "RELIC" carve. I don't really know this guitar's story, the guy who was selling didn't too.

6. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Congrats!

I have an '06 heavy relic '56 that is the best Strat I've had out of quite a few over the decades.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's normal, they all had "RELIC" engraved in the bodies, then. Looks like a real nice strat! congrats.

8. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

Yours is a 'closet classic' finish just like mine. As others have said all the time machine models have the "relic" stamp just to identify them as custom shop pieces and not original vintage Fenders. I bet your guitar is from the same run as my guitar. The serial number for my guitar is 4730. I know yours is a later '99 model since it has the correct headstock. It's a great strat. I've had many other custom shop strats since I bought this guitar (3 of which were masterbuilt), and this is the only one I've kept.

Here's mine with my Nocaster

[​IMG]

9. kursatcoruhlu

kursatcoruhlu Member

Thanks guys, that's a great piece of information. I don't know much about custom shop.

Then it means they sanded the back of the neck. Maybe i'll apply 2-3 layers of tung oil, i don't love the feeling of raw necks. But he tung oil feels great.

It really sounds awesome, the pickups are great. This is what a strat sounds like. I can really get the difference between vintage and modern comparing this one to my TA Classic. It's not as comfortable as the TA and can't get the action as low as that one but the sound is dreamy. And the guitar resonates like crazy, the necks vibrates when i'm playing it. It's awesome. :)

Mine's SN is 5150(yeah, she nods to EVH), May 6 1999 says the neck. The tremolo needs a little caring, maybe i'll swap it with a Callaham. Not sure yet.

10. bluesjuke

My '06 does not have finish on the back of neck but my '52 Tele Relic (Nocaster spec'd) does.
    However the finish on the Tele is wearing off.

11. kursatcoruhlu

kursatcoruhlu Member

Yeah, since this is a closet classic finish, i figured that it should have had some finish on the back of the neck.
    Or is that not the case?

12. bluesjuke

It should or rather it likely did when new.
    Closet Classic was gentle wear replicated.

Could very well be from playing or someone took the finish down.
    How large of an area of the back of the neck is it?

13. kursatcoruhlu

kursatcoruhlu Member

From headstock to neck joint. They must have took it down, no way this happens in 16 years. :)

14. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I put a Callaham trem block on mine a couple years ago and I LOVE it. All the slop in the arm is gone. I also like the shorter Callaham trem arm.

15. kursatcoruhlu

kursatcoruhlu Member

Saddles and the screws are really rusty, that's my problem actually. Just thougt i'd change it completly with the callaham. Maybe gotoh's locking vintage tuners too. Cause she will be played a lot.

16. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

man, that is a sexy stratocaster!

17. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Sweet. That guitar a ts9 and a tweed fender.... heaven.

18. kursatcoruhlu

kursatcoruhlu Member

Yeah. Got an Orange Th30 right now but i'm planning on a 59 bassman. And for a ts, i use an od11.
    With the keeley compressor, i get what i want right now but i'm obsessed with the bassman, will get one before the summer is over.