• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

NOGD (the return of an old friend!)

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Welcoming back an old friend... the first “new” guitar I ever had - my 1981 Ibanez Blazer. My warhorse throughout High School, College, and my first years of pro gigging.

Long forgotten and dismantled... in a closet for 20 years - now lovingly restored and better than ever by the talented Mr. Mark Umphred (one of the finest luthiers in WNY)

Dimarzio Areas in the neck and middle, and Dimarzio Air Norton at the bridge. This guitar has never sounded so good... also had it re-fretted with larger wire (the originals were soooo worn down - I did most of my learning on them), and locking tuners

2-piece Ash body... man, what a tone. Way better than my current Strat (which is also fully upgraded and pretty damn good too). The original Japanese Ibanez stuff from the late 70s and early 80s are just amazing instruments.

D8B0C1BF-62C2-43B6-8323-C6FC3A06F506.jpeg EB37BE1B-A10D-4F88-99DB-5F1D599E9A80.jpeg 6914E121-1B2E-4D6A-A6FD-F836EAC87E9C.jpeg

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
Really nice and a great story. Still have my Iceman from '78/79.

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Oh man.... an Iceman was always on my teenage GAS list! Especially the Paul Stanley model... :cool:

Jim85IROC

There's something special about that era of Ibanez guitars. I missed out on an 84-85 Roadstar II and I still kick myself over it.

patshep

Silver Supporting Member
I used to want a roadster ll and should have bought one, they were great, i saw a blazer for cheap a while back, seems like the one japanese ibanez from the golden era people won't pay for yet

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Well, I can tell ya... the amount I just paid to have the guitar restored, is not much less than it cost originally :p

But of course, it’s totally worth it :cool:

monty

Nice! My buddies dad had one back in the 80s and it was always a treat when he let me play it. Great guitars.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
NIce; congrats on getting her back and refurbished! Agree that those MIJ Ibanez from the late 70s-early 80s were great instruments.

Trending Topics