Noise issue at venue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 11justin22, Feb 11, 2012.

1. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

I play a mini recto at my church on Sundays, the church is in a school building that is ony a couple of years old. When I plug in there I get awful hiss and buzz from my amp. It only happens there, doesn't do it at my house or at the practice place. I'm thinking it may be the power even though it's a new building. What do u guys do about noise? Would a power conditioner help? If so which one.

2. pbmw

pbmw Member

There's a dimmer switch somewhere nearby.

3. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Now that I think about it there is. I'm guessing that causes hum? Hw do I fix it?

4. Tread

Tread Member

Turn off dimmer switch.

5. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Not possible.....

6. pbmw

pbmw Member

Dimmers are notorious for producing line noise.
    I only have one in my house and we took out all of them in the studio.
    I'm not an electrician but I know there are ways to cure this.

7. axelfoley

axelfoley Supporting Member

Tell them to rewire the building or you are out!

J/k. I have heard that if the switch is either off or on completely you can dodge the noise. Worth a shot.

8. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

[​IMG]

In the FX loop? Or the plug version. Otherwise, you're gonna need a power conditioner that is more than a glorified power strip, and those can get pricey.

9. WaterBearOne

WaterBearOne Member

Eliminate the guesswork: Do a quick & simple test to determine how & where the noise is getting into your amp:
    - Unplug your guitar cord (at the amp input). With the amp on and at playing volume, is the noise still there?
    If the noise remains with the guitar unplugged, you have a problem with noise on the incoming AC power line, or you have an RF or radiant electrical noise source near your amp that it is picking it up inductively through transformers, internal wiring etc. This type of noise can often be cured with a good quality power conditioner that has noise filtering circuitry (Monster makes some good models). Also, always make sure that the AC outlet you are using has a proper ground connection (get a $5 circuit tester at H. Depot and keep it in your guitar case).

If the noise goes away when you unplug your guitar - then it is your guitar and not your amp or the AC power line that is the source of the problem. On guitars, usually single coil pickups are the culprit, followed closely by bad guitar cables, poor control cavity & pickup shielding, dirty or loose jacks, etc. As some of the earlier posts indicate, RF and electrical noise often comes from nearby dimmers, fluorescent lights, stage lights' transformers and dimmer packs, etc. Using a guitar with humbuckers can help if it is a pickup issue. Otherwise, here is a great and very thorough summary of how to properly shield a noisy guitar:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/index.php

10. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

It's not the guitar as I use 5 different ones on a regular basis. It hums with all of them.

11. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

Well maybe all 5 guitars have the same problem.

12. Lance

Lance Member

Do you have any Suhrs with the BPSSC noise thing on the back plate? These work well, as long as you have your back to the amp. That, and a good power conditioner should do the trick.

13. GT100

GT100 Member

Then turn it all the way up.
    Its the "dim" settings that generate the noise.
    Full on and off don't.

Lloyd

14. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Can't do that because it's the lighting for the "Santcutary". Pastor would have a cow if I told him I needed the lights on cause my amp is humming a little:bonk

I got a ground lift and an old power conditioner a friend let me borrow I'm going to try in the morning to see if that helps any. Will report back.

15. 11justin22

11justin22 Member

Well good news and bad. It's not my amp!........it's my pedal board. Unplugged everything and the amp was quiet, plugged board back and hum. It still has something to do with the power as I doesn't do it other locations. Ground lift didn't work and the power conditioner I got was nothing more than a glorified power strip. So I guess I need to find a good power conditioner now....