Noise issue with Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DodsonLP, Mar 13, 2006.

1. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

I get a high pitched whine through the amp when I my Holy Grail reverb. Does any one else have this problem? Anyone have a solution for this problem?

2. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Unfortunately, that's the only reason I never bought this pedal. It sounds amazing when it works but after a few months everyone reports this exact same problem with a high pitched whine.

Call EH and have them send you another but unfortunately from what I've read you've got a few months before it starts happening again.

I've been told the Digitech Digiverb is a nice replacement that is reliable but I haven't used it myself.

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

I've used mine for at least two years with absolutely no problems -if it's under warranty have you tried exchanging it?

Best, Pete.

4. 6789

6789 Member

I've had no trouble with mine.

5. myles111

myles111 Member

I found these pedals noisy with just about any amp. I gave mine away to Danny Jacob over at Disney/Dreamworks.

6. drolling

drolling Member

I saw Junior Watson using one of these w/an old strat and a bassman and was totally knocked out by the sound so I went right down to the music store the next day and tried 4 of them - they all made one helluva racket.

Went to another music store about a year later and tried a couple more - same thing..

If I had found one that worked, I'da been all over it..

7. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Ditto :(

8. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Mine suffers from the reboot syndrome ....when it dies (leaving only the dry signal)...I pull the adapter plug out of the pedal and reboot it ...comes back on ...I keep hoping at least . Got an LXP 1 coming

9. Lution

Lution Member

I have had no issues at all with both of mine. No noise, no hiss, just REAL NICE reverb.

You might see one of mine come up for sale here on TGP soon. For those who've had bad luck finding a good one, keep your eyes peeled. They are worth every cent. :AOK

10. Tinman

Tinman Member

Are you using the wallwart that came with it? I got the whine when I tried to use other power supplies with EH adapters. When I went back to the EH wallwart it stopped whining. I still have that reboot problem others have talked about.

11. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

My Holy Grail is dead quiet. I usually leave it turned on all of the time. A damn fine pedal IMO. The only trouble I had was with the input jack coming loose due to moving the pedal around in my pedal case with short cords attached. I tightened it up and have had no more problems.

12. danut

danut Member

The Holy Grail is ONLY noisy when powered by a multi-outlet power supply. It needs a dedicate power supply to function properly.

13. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Indeed - the Holy Grail does not seem to like aftermarket supplies, and especially not digital switching types (1-spot, Godlyke etc).

/Andreas

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

My HG experiences:

Had 3 total. All were noisy with certain amps, not with others. It's noisiest with amp I bought it specifically for. When I try it out with other's amps or at stores, sometimes noise, sometimes not.

Not walwart related. I burned up 3 walwarts before finally giving in and buying a Godlyke powerall. Never chained other effects into that powersupply, use it as a walwart for this pedal alone.

The reverb sound itself beats any pedal I've tried. Due to the noise, I'm now using (trying out) a Fender RI reverb tank.

15. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have a Grail 'verb and mine adds very slight hiss, but nothing bad at all. I also have it running off it's own wallwart that came with it, and all my other pedals run off a PedalPower 2 unit.

-Peace
    -Nate

16. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

Thanks for all the input and affirmation. To answer the questions, I am using the wallwart supplied by EH and I have it plugged straight into the wall. I still get the whine. It is a great sounding unit but I do not use it for this reason. I have a Digitech unit I use sometimes as well as a Songworks Little Lanilei spring reverb. I have an RV2 and an RV3 but they both are very sensitive and are hard for me to be consistant with from gig to gig. If I am using an amp with a paralell f/x loop, I use a 1/3 rack size Alisis Nano-verb which works great but none of them work as well as a spring reverb built into the amp for me. Unfortunately, Many amps I like do not have reverb as an option.