Noise Issue...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by McSoappy, Feb 26, 2015.

1. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Okay so I've done a lot of research on this issue and I'm still perplexed. I'll go over the issue and what I've tried so far.

Issue:

I'm getting that typical grounding issue sound. If I touch something metal on the guitar it stops. Weird thing is on my PRS with P90's on it the hum is more in the middle position with both pickups on. If I put the toggle on the bridge pickup its way less and the cycle 60 is there (maybe the cycle 60 trumps the ground issue?)

Things I've tried:

Using different amp
    Using different amp power cable
    Using different guitar (to see if it was guitar electronics)
    Using different guitar cables
    Bought a Furman power conditioner (only thing plugged into wall outlet)
    I was stupid and tried a ground lift for about a minute
    Using different outlets (in the same room)

I'm really at a loss but it seems like it's ground related. I thought about trying a Hum X but called them and they said it was mainly for running stereo amps and that type of thing. Any assistance people can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    David

2. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Are you definitely sure that the outlets you've tried are properly grounded? The existence of a ground plug socket doesn't necessarily mean that they are. My apartment only has one set of outlets (in the kitchen) that are grounded. I have to run an extension cord out to the living room where my amps are. Otherwise, if I plug them into ungrounded wall sockets, they're comparatively quite noisy... and it can be dangerous.

3. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Is there a tester to ensure the ground is good?

4. halcyon

I have a Monster power strip that has an LED indicating whether or not the outlet it's connected to is grounded. It was like $15 at Ace Hardware, I think.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Have you tried it somewhere else?
    Flourescent lights in there?

6. halcyon

Yeah, fluorescent lights, dimmers, computer screens, etc... all potential sources of EMI.

7. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

P90's are relatively noisy. Maybe there's nothing actually wrong??

8. joeprs

joeprs Member

I have a McSoapy as well. I notice a slight hum when using only one pup. When both are on it goes away. I had fluorescent bulbs in the 2 lamps in my studio and changed them out for incandescent bulbs. The noise has decreased, but is still there, far less noticeable. I think it is the nature of the soapbar pups.

Have you tried playing in different rooms, just to see if it still hums or not? I know this might not be a solution, but it may show a problem in one room that doesn't exist in another, or may exist in all rooms.

Your post sounds way worse than what I just mentioned. Hopefully, somebody will give you a solution to your problem. Wish I could help. Good luck.

9. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Tried it in another room and it's still there, not as bad though. No fluorescent lights anywhere near it.

10. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

It's weird I get the typical cycle 60 on the one pickup settings, but when on both pickups it's a different higher pitched type of hum.

11. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Dimmer switches on any lights in the house?

12. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

There's one dimmer switch in the house on the second floor. I'm playing in the basement.

13. SHOOTOUT!

SHOOTOUT! Member

The dimmer switch is easy to eliminate as the issue, switch the dimmer switch off and the noise should go, and turn it full on and the noise should be less than when dimmed.

Re: the mains grounding, run a search for 'mains socket ground tester'.

This is 60hz hum for reference:

Marc, Director
    SHOOTOUT! Guitar Cables, UK

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  14. SHOOTOUT!

SHOOTOUT! Member

Switching pickups and the sound changing suggests to me it could be EM reaching your pickups. Try moving away from all things electronic and see what happens. Does the sound change when you change the way the guitar faces etc.

Alternatively here is a video on guitar grounding issues and what happens when a guitar is not grounded that might help:

Marc, Director
    SHOOTOUT! Guitar Cables, UK

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  15. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Well fellas, thanks to all who responded to this thread. I went out and got an outlet tester as suggested and it turns out it was a bad ground as I'd expected from my multimeter testing. The issue was that in my studio room each box has 4 outlets on it and when I wired them in I tagged the two outlets with the black and white wires but forgot to add the unshielded wire as well. Once I added the wire to each outlet they all tested fine. Now I just have to put the room together and see if it' fixed the problem LOL!