Noise Issues: Noise Gate vs. Power Source?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blackie1956, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Member

I play music in a room that does not have any heavy duty electronic stuff going on...no fluorescent lights, hungry computers, electric heaters, etc. Why I have an issue with just about any active pedal (OD, Comp, Wah) is a bit of a mystery. Example: recently I bought a wah. It was totally noisy in the toe-down position, which was a drag, as I really wanted THAT one brand of pedal. Had to take it back. How might I solve this issue and have a quiet board? Do I need a noise gate, a power source...how can I solve this recurring issue? :bitch

2. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

just because nothing in that room is particularly high demand, (space Heater) doesnt mean much, it really depends on what else is on that circuit, you could have 3 different rooms on the same circuit, so the culprit could be in another room.

However this is still not enough info, what pedals do you use currently, how do you power them, if you have something like a voodoo labs running, are any of these pedals sitting near it. How many pedals are actively running, and how high is your gain set on your amp/distortion pedals?

3. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Member

Interesting point regarding what other rooms may be on the same circuit.

My amp is a Princeton Reverb Reissue, fwiw. Guitar>wah>>flashback delay>OCD>Ditto Looper> Princeton Reverb Reissiue Amp. All pedals are powered by OneSpot AC Adapter Chain I've tried other OD pedals and both had a lot of fuzz/hiss when engaged, same with a compressor I tried. Now I have this Dunlop Cry Baby Wah 535Q that's just too noisy in the toe-down position. The Cry Baby Classic is not as noisy, so that's the wah I had to choose. With the wah out of the chain, or disengaged, everything is very quiet, and that's how I like it. So...I'm hoping one of you might be able to help. Even if I kept the lesser wah pedal, I'd like to understand what's going on with so much noise from so many pedals.

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

A wah in full toe position will never be noise-free - it boosts the top end so much that there will always be some hiss, even with an otherwise clean sound. But it shouldn't be unruly, and definitely not any hum.

Try running the wah and od on battery power - if that clears it up, you know the problem has to do with the power supply (rather than anything external in the room).

5. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I had a one spot that worked well for a while and then got really noisy. I have no experience with the flashback or ditto, but some digital pedals can be noisy when daisy chained with gain type pedals.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

And just because you don't think anything in house is causing noise doesn't mean that power actually coming into the whole house is quiet.

I start off getting one of these for your whole setup.
    [​IMG]
    Gives you two isolated banks, one for amp, one for effects chain. Can help a lot in some situations.

And some of those 1spot are just janky out of the box. Try running some of your pedal on batteries and see if a lot of that noise goes away.

And yes most digital/delay pedals are better on a isolated power supply because of noise they can throw back into the chain. Take it out of chain or run on battery if capable of it and see if noise goes away.

7. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Member

Just to clear up a couple of things. Firstly, I've had this issue (hiss, hum, and radio reception) before I bought the One Spot. Secondly, a battery has not made any difference. In light of this fact, would a power supply like the Tripp-Lite still help the situation?

8. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Maybe the nature of non isolated power outputs of the onespot is the issue. Maybe a voodoo lab w isolated power outlets would help

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well it can definitely help if some of your problem is EMI/RFI related. Their not that expensive if you shop around online. Very nice basic line conditioner.

10. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I have heard that TC says that the Ditto is recommended to be used with an isolated power source. However that most likely is not going to explain the radio chatter your getting, I had the issue once as well in the past, I changed one cable from my board to amp, and the problem went away, I have since moved out of where I encountered that problem, and have been able to use the culprit cable with the same amp without any issues. So you may have a hard time figuring out whats causing it. Im gonna bet that its location related though and/or your incoming power.