Noise Reduction Units???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lookslikemeband, Sep 20, 2006.

1. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Hey gang -

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good noise reduction unit??

I use Mesa Boogie Dual Rectos, and I'd like to eliminate some of the "hiss / noise" on the dirty channel.

Any good ideas?

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

ISP noise decimator, hands down. If you can afford the rack system ($400+) go for it. Otherwise the pedal beats any other noisegate pedal out there (~$120)

www.isptechnologies.com

3. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Yeah - I've talked to the guys at ISP. The only issue I have is that it's designed so that you plug your guitar into the unit first - then back out to the pedals - then to the amp - then into the effects loop back to the unit.

I was wondering if the Decimator worked well JUST in the effects loop???

4. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

Hush IIs work great infront of guitar amps.

5. mustangman

mustangman Member

wait until the Electro Harmonix Humdebugger comes out. It's suppose to be great!

6. cameron

cameron Member

The stomp-box version of the Decimator could be used in an amp's effect loop.

But are you sure about putting the pedals between the rack unit's Channel 1 output and the amp's input? I'd tend to put the pedals between the guitar and the channel 1 input, so that channel one would be set up to kill noise from the guitar and from any noisy pedals you may have. Then channel two would go in the effect loop and kill the noise from your high-gain preamp.

Or you could use the rack version, and simply not use one of the channels . . .

7. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Maybe I didn't clarify:

I normally DO run Guitar -> Pedalboard -> Amp input -> Effects Loop -> Compressor -> Amp

ISP recommends you run Guitar -> Decimator Channel 1 -> Pedals -> Amp Input -> Effects Loop into Channel 2 -> Amp

I don't really WANT to go directly into the ISP. I'd rather go into my pedalboard directly, like I'm used to.

I'm wondering if the Decimator will work "OK" just in the effects loop?

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

You must have misunderstood them. You need to have it after your pedals or it will do nothing.

It states on the website that you put it at the end of your signal chain or in your FX loop.

Here is a quote form their site:

"The Decimator Pedal is extremely easy to use; simply inset the Decimator at the end of your chain of existing pedals or, insert the Decimator Pedal in the effects loop of your amplifier to clean up the noise present at the amplifier input as well as the noise in the amplifiers pre-amp section." ""Decimator Pedal is extremely easy to use; simply inset the Decimator at the end of your chain of existing pedals or, insert the Decimator Pedal in the effects loop of your amplifier to clean up the noise present at the amplifier input as well as the noise in the amplifiers pre-amp section.

9. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

It's $400 clams... but I'm pretty sure I'm going in! :crazy

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Yeah, the decimator is comfortable anywhere in your rig. You can put it between your pedalboard and amps input as well, or anywhere within your board

The Rack is 400 clams (you want the ProRackG version), pedal is 120; rack allows you to clean up your pre-input + FX loop signal simultaneously, as well as detect the channel you're on (clean/dirty) and adjust the threshold accordingly. I believe this is the advantage of the rack over the pedal, not sure if it does other things.

11. cameron

cameron Member

He was talking about the rack version. That has two channels, one of which would go before the amp's input, and the second in the amp's effect loop. The only question is whether you'd put the pedals before the first channel input, or between the first channel's output and the amp's input.

I should think it would work either way, but I'd prefer to put it the pedals first, then decimator, then amp.

I use the Decimator (stomp box version) as my last-but-one pedal. I turn it off when playing clean, and turn it on when I turn on either my distortion pedal (currently Teaser Stallion, OCD in the past) or my fuzz. It's last-but-one only because the last pedal is the stereo effect that sends a separate output to the two amps.