1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

NOISE, where does it come from?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gfarro, May 24, 2011.

1. gfarro

gfarro Member

I have 3 guitars, a pedalboard going stereo out to two amps. With 2 of the guitars, the whole system runs beautifully. But when I use the other guitar plugged into the pedalboard, I get noise. Noise that I can stop when I touch the strings. Like a ground issue noise. Here's the kicker. When I plug that guitar straight into the amp it's dead silent. No noise. I thought maybe that guitar had higher output pickups than the other 2 and the pedalboard was picking up on it. But all my guitars have basically the same outputs. Single coil neck (Low output) Humbucker bridge (High input). Has anyone here experienced something like this? Thanks.

2. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

It does sound like a ground issue. PLug the noisy guitar into the LAST pedal on the board and see if it's still noisy. If it's not noisy, move it up one pedal at a time and maybe you can find the one that's got some sort of problem.

3. gfarro

gfarro Member

Mike, that's a nice surprise. So do you think it could be one of the pedals?

4. gfarro

gfarro Member

Okay, Mike, I started to do as you suggested and I heard the noise at the last pedal of my chain. I said, wait a minute, let me plug the guitar straight into the amp again. Now there's noise. Last night it was quiet. It looks like it's the guitar. Thanks.

5. Gizmoaudio

Gizmoaudio Member

Make sure the bridge is grounded to the cable ground. The problem is probably there all the time. It's just more noticeable with more gain from the pedals.