Noiseless P-90 concerns

Coach T.

Hi all,

I was looking at SD's p-90s and they say you might have route your cavity a bit to make it fit as it is taller. Anyone ever had to do this? Also, are all noiseless p-90s gonna have this issue? Not that excited about digging into the woodwork of my Mustang...

AdmiralB

I was looking at SD's p-90s and they say you might have route your cavity a bit to make it fit as it is taller.
All stacked P90s are probably going to be taller than non-stacked, yes. How much of a problem that's going to be depends upon the particular pickup and the guitar into which it's (potentially) going.

Duncan's usually very good about providing dimensioned drawings - you should be able to measure your guitar's cavities and get your answer pretty easily.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Hi all,

I was looking at SD's p-90s and they say you might have route your cavity a bit to make it fit as it is taller. Anyone ever had to do this? Also, are all noiseless p-90s gonna have this issue? Not that excited about digging into the woodwork of my Mustang...
Check the Fralins I think they are the regular size

SouthpawGuy

The noiseless SD P90s were too tall to fit my Larrivee RS-2, fwiw they had previously been in a Heritage 137.

Don't know the exact thickness of the Larrivee, but this photo will give you an idea

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
The Fralin noiseless P90's drop right in a standard Gibson type P90 rout - I've got a set in a '50's Tribute Les Paul, they in fact dropped right in no-pain, no-strain.

SouthpawGuy

I have set of the Fralin noiseless in a Heritage 137, excellent pickups. The Larrivee pictured has Manlius Quiet Goats, also noiseless. The two guitars sound totally different, the Heritage has way more b@lls and attitude, the Larrivee is much brighter with a lot less mid range "grunt".

The Heritage is 24 3/4" scale and the Larrivee is 25 1/2" scale length, the same as a strat or tele.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
The new Mojotone Quiet Coil P90 is normal size and sounds great.

Zuper

Silver Supporting Member
The Fralins are excellent pickups and, as stated above, are a direct replacement.

Bluplirst

I have set of the Fralin noiseless in a Heritage 137, excellent pickups. The Larrivee pictured has Manlius Quiet Goats, also noiseless. The two guitars sound totally different, the Heritage has way more b@lls and attitude, the Larrivee is much brighter with a lot less mid range "grunt".

The Heritage is 24 3/4" scale and the Larrivee is 25 1/2" scale length, the same as a strat or tele.
What wind amount did you get on the fralins?

Jeff_G

How do those mojo tone pups work? Most of the noiseless P90s I've seen aren't true P90s. Maybe I'm missing something?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
How do those mojo tone pups work? Most of the noiseless P90s I've seen aren't true P90s. Maybe I'm missing something?
These are a new design by David at Mojotone. They really sound like a P90 but are totally quiet. Also, the bridge one is a little hotter than the neck.

Trending Topics