Noiseless P-90's?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Unburst, May 20, 2006.

1. Unburst

Unburst Member

I love the sound of P-90's but I have horrible noise problems in my apartment, like unbearable buzz with any SC pup, since I like to record at home, this pretty much rules out P-90's for me.

Are there any good sounding noiseless P-90's?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Seymour Duncan STK-P1 stacked soapbars. Pretty fat sounding,

3. HHB

HHB Member

I've had great success w/ the DiMarzio Virtual P-90 in my McInturff

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yep, I'd try the Virtual P90 from Dimarzio. Their pickups are great and very innovative. I’ve recently decided that every time I want to change pickups, I’ll start with Dimarzio. They have a huge selection of types for any application. I’ve never installed one that wasn’t exactly what I needed.

Plus, they’re extremely well priced.
    :AOK

5. KBN

KBN Member

+1 on the Dimarzios. As always, YMMV.

6. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

I would like to respectfully disagree about the Seymore Duncan Stack pick-ups - I bought a used LP double-cutaway that came with the Duncans installed and the original Gibson P-90's in a bag. I set the toggle to the bridge position and played an open chord and said "Yuck!". The neck positition did sound great, but the bridge pick-up just sounded dead. I swapped out the Gibsons for the SD's and played the same chord and said "Yeaaaa!" - Very nasty and rauchy (but also very noisy).

As one old Gitpicker told me many moons ago, "I play guitar to MAKE noise - I don't need no stinkin' noiseless pickups!"

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

Thanks for the tips guys.

Jack-have you tried the Dimarzio?

Well, that's all well and good, and believe me, I'm not normally a fan of noiseless pups, but in this case it's the lesser of two evils.

8. Oddos

Oddos Member

P-90s are regular sigle coils, aren`t they.

Try the SSC System.

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

That is a possibilty, but I don't think Suhr have it working for P-90's yet.

10. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Is the SSC system only for Stat-type guitars or can it be used for others, like Telecasters? Obviously, no back plate on a Tele.

11. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I have a PRS Soapbar II Korean guitar that I put a set of Lollar P90s into. I absolutely love these pickups! With both pickups on the humm is cancelled, but there is still typical P90 of humm when only on either pickup. John, if you come up with a backplate SSC fix for P90's I'd be all over it, even though this guitar doesn't have tremolo, therefore no need for a backplate, I'd find a way to mount it anyway.

What I prefer about the SSC system is you are not stuck with the noiseless solution tied to a specific pickup. Maybe you want to use a vintage pickup, or some handwound pickup from your favorite pickup craftsman, with the SSC you are not locked in, you have the freedom to swap out pickups to taste. In my case I prefer the Lollars over anything I've heard (so far), if in the future I prefer something from someone else I can make the change without loosing my noise solution. That's why I hope John and company come up with a cool SSC retrofit solution for P90 guitars. Pleeeeease!

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

That would solve my problem for sure.

:AOK

13. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I love the sound of P-90s but the electrical supply in our practice space makes them practically unusable. If this Suhr system could be used on a SG Classic that would really open a door for me.