Noiseless P90s - what are my options?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Macaroni, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've got a guitar with 3 x P90s and they're noisy as expected, and it's bothering me more than I anticipated. I've searched the forums and I've read about the DiMarzio Virtual P90s and the rest of that family. I've also heard about the Razor TSB-100s from All Parts, but there's not much detail on them.

Any other choices I should know about? I want to stay in the general tonal area of P90s without getting too hot or too close to humbuckers.

2. WordMan

WordMan Member

Honestly? I don't know that I have heard a noiseless P-90 I trust yet...

Yes they are a pain. I think that is part of signing up to the cult of P-90's...

3. tdu

tdu Member

P-100's are supposed to be a noisless version, but I have also heard they lack some of the characteristics of P-90's that make them so good.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

IMHO they don't hold a candle.

P-90s just have to be P-90s and unfortunately they are quite noisy. If you're recording you can do what Will Ray calls "facing Mecca" (I prefer to call it "facing Jerusalem"): turning your body 'till you find a sweet spot where the hum is minimalized.

If you don't have that luxury, like on stage, just play anyway. You don't hear the hum so much while you're playing. Turn down the volume knob between songs.

I havbe P90s in a Les Paul and I shielded the pickup cavity with a special paint, which cut back somewhat on the hum being stimulated by external electrical fields like cables, monitors, lights, my hands, etc. They're still noisy when they're at their worst, but I have more room to move around.

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The reviews I've read about the DM Virtual P90s all indicated that they do sound authentic. I'm not looking for 'exact' replicas, but a more refined version, ie: improved. Most of the current offerings of classic P90s by the boutique guys all seem to be 'improved' tonally speaking.

6. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Mini Humbuckers...yeah yeah, I know, not as gritty snarly as P90s but they are noiseless.

7. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

The Gibson Blueshawk (recently discontinued) uses a dummy pup to cancel noise. Don't know it sounds, but there is a small following:

http://www.blueshawk.info/intro.htm

Maybe a reverse wound center pup???

8. PolyMorf

PolyMorf Member

I replaced the Duncan SP90s on my Godin LG with DiMarzio virtual P90s. I just couldn't take their noise, and I'm a strat guy who doesn't mind some SC noise.

I think they sound EXCELLENT and are very quiet. I also have them wired for the outer coils in parallel and inner coils in parallel in addition to the standard neck/bridge/both pup switching.

9. tdu

tdu Member

I guess different people percieve 'noise' differently. I had a Godin LGSP90 as well and I didn't find the SP-90's that bad at all. I find the Gibson one in my Melody Maker a little noisier, but it's not something that overwhelms the great tone.

10. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

http://www.blueshawk.info/pickups.htm

I can't find where they say where the dummy core is located.

Someone mentioned doing something like this when I was complaining about P90 noise a while back. I wonder if I could put a dummy coil in the control cavity of my Dillion. It would sure make my life easier! But will the dummy coil mess with the P90 sound, other than making it quieter?

Pete

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Perhaps contact DiMarzio for their rec - pretty honest cats... (drop me an email if you need contact info)

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Right now I'm leaning towards a DiMarzio VP90 for the neck & middle and a DLX 90 for the bridge.

13. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

IMHO P100's are great.I've got a set of KA P90's, just sold a histpric R4 with lollars in it and am about to recieve a Hmer special korina with a SD P90 in it.
    IMHO P100's are great, I don't see why everyone bashes them all the time.
    (Puts flame retardent jacket on) I think they sound 500% better than the lollars in my R4, thats why I sold it.
    And for the record, martin barre fits p100's in his vintage juniors.

14. HHB

HHB Member

've been using a DiMarzio VP-90 and love it, sounds great, stands right next to my 58 LPJr and holds it's own

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I do have it wired that way (ie: middle is RWRP), and the 2 & 4 positions are fine, noise wise. It's the neck, middle and bridge alone that are bad, and they are key playing positions for me. Plus, I have the Tone as push/pull to get the neck + bridge and that's noisy too. TOO MUCH NOISE! ;)

16. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Sounds like a good suggestion for the 3 PU set up. :JAM

17. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Rio Grande had a pickup called a Hushbar which was a hum cancelling P-90 type. I've never heard it but I have a set of their humbuckers and really like them. I did a sub gig with a guitarist who had the Gibson P-100s and was not impressed. So so tone AND they were noisy.

18. filteredwaters

filteredwaters Member

Along these lines . . . I've got an '81 LP Deluxe with what are described as "mini-humbuckers". Are these P-90's, P-100's or something else? I haven't played it in a while so I can't remember what noise issues it may have.

Tnx.

19. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

The Gibson mini humbuckers are not P-90 pickups. They are basically copies of the Epiphone mini-humbuckers from the 60s. They are hum cancelling and sound like a brighter, thinner humbucker. I had 2 Pauls with those pickups and thought they sounded good.

20. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I have a really cool lp special tv yellow single cut with p100s. The good thing is they are totally quiet. The bad thing is the tone is not all that great. I've considered Rio Grande's baby bukers with those two litle coils, but that really would be a shame to not have real p90s. I'm leaning Llollars. I can't believe you did not like them. Tell me more about Dimarzios.