Noiseless strat bridge that snds like strat but high output?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Apr 21, 2005.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I need a strat bridge pup that has the following attributes.

1)-noisless, but NOT those side by side strat size humbuckers
    2)-higher output than neck and middle by a bit...maybe 25%
    3)-thickness w/o sacrificing stratty tone
    4)-the main thing i don't wanna lose is the strat's ability to get a bridge tone that gives you that "every note in the chord is distinct" sound even with hig gain.

That is if it's even possible ! I would prefer something i could get locally as opposed to kinmans or other boutique stuff. But thats not necassary, just preference.

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

DiMarzio VirtuAL 2 bridge...

3. dazco

dazco Member

Yea, i've been looking at the VV's, but the 2 isn't much higher than a pup like a vanzandt blues is it? (which is what will be in neck/middle) Hows it sound other than the output as far as the other things i described? I've read good and bad so it's kinda hard to take much from reviews.

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Could look at the DiMarzio VV Solo - bit into P90 territory...

But chat w/ 'em - they are really helpful and will exchange till you get your match...

5. dazco

dazco Member

I looked into those just now. Sounds like they could be good except for 2 things. For one the sound apparently is too smooth to give me that strat chord sound where all the notes are distinct. And secondly they supposedly require a 500k pot to sound good. But the reviews were pretty good. The heavy blues is the next one down but got horrible reviews. Go figure.....

6. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

I didn't really care for the Dimarzios, I did like the Fender hot noiseless. I thought those sounded really good to my ears.

7. dazco

dazco Member

That wouldn't be an option because the pups i'm replacing are fender SCN's which are the newest version of fender's noisless and generally said to be much better than the fender noisless.

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Could try a Fralin. not sure which one would be best, but in my experienc they are pretty hot.

9. dazco

dazco Member

they aren't noisless. If i didn't care about noise i'd just stick with Vanzandts which other than the noise are pretty much exactly what i like.

10. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I think that John Suhr is coming out with some new pickup that kills the hum but sounds EXACTLY like a true single coil. I'm all ears! :D

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Oh Duh forgive me my stupidity, I meant Kinman pick ups...

12. dazco

dazco Member

Yea, been reading that thread, but it requires some routing. At least for now it does.

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Doesn't really need the 500K pot, but chat w/ DiMarzio.
    I used one w/ a 250K pot and it was fine...
    Again, chat w/ 'em - their customer service is excellent.

14. dazco

dazco Member

I read a bunck of reviews and a magazine article where they said they sounded medioce with a 250. Especially that artice which said it became lifless when they tried a 250. So thats enough to worry me

15. JZWest

JZWest Member

Perhaps a 300K pot is the ticket? That and notching the 2 tone pots could make em open up breath.

16. dazco

dazco Member

I really don't wanna experiment with pots. I'm to old and jaded with all this. I really just wanna pop it in and go and not worry about trying to balance a pot value to work with it and not mess with the tone of the vanzandts that will be in there. As for the tones, i always disconnect them cuz i don't use or like them. But i'm curious.....when you say "notch" them are you talking about scraping the resistive strip so they're open circuit when at 10? If not, what do you mean by that?

17. JZWest

JZWest Member

"when you say "notch" them are you talking about scraping the resistive strip so they're open circuit when at 10?"

Yes. It's a little bit tedious but I dig the results, sometimes. I do them in batches and I also measure and match pots in groups according their values. For example of 250K, some could be 215K or as high as 285K.

The 300K would really help to open up the DiMarzio VV"s. Maybe even a 310K. But there are certainly other things to consider.

18. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Well, this WAS the last page in the Guitars in General section.

19. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

You did it wrong, you just write "I got one of these and love it", like a proper 10-year necro-bump for no reason.

20. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member