Noiseless Strat Pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mike T, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Mike T

Mike T Member

I've got Bardens in there now with a Little '59 in the bridge. Barden's are great in my Tele, but they leave something to be desired in my hardtail strat. The Duncan the in bridge is real nice, but the rolloff of the treble is not so nice. I'm looking at Kinmans and Duncans and maybe Bill Lawrence. Others too if I can find them, but I don't want to go active and I just can't deal with single coil hum. I can't really judge them well except for the clips they provide on their websites. Real world experience is what I'm looking for and any opinions would be really appreciated. For amps I've been using a Reverend Hellhound. Pedals are a BOR and a Zendrive with a Boss ME-50 for reverb and delay and chorus when I need it, as well as the pedal effects like wah, resonance, and voice. Sometimes I'll put a Keely compressor in there. If the gig will allow me to go without pedals and work straight from the guitar, I use (1) or (2) 20 watt Fenders that I totally rebuilt (you can hear one of them and my Tele w/Bardens on my clip "Chill Kitty"). If it sounds good straight through them, I will be happy with how it sounds through all the outboard stuff. Thanks again....

2. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I've had good success with Dimarzio Area pickups in my Strat (and Tele). They sound great live, and have zero noise.

I use Area 58 neck, Area 61 middle, and Virtual 54 Pro bridge. They work really well when rolled off.

My amp is a Mesa 5:50 1x12. I have also used these pickups with a Zendrive in front of a Fender amp.

3. Mike T

Mike T Member

Thanks

4. Caretaker

Caretaker Supporting Member

Yes. The Virtual series from Dimarzio are great. Very convincing tone and silent.

5. Caretaker

Caretaker Supporting Member

There is a loaded pickguard in the Emporium I just noticed.

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

The Area T pickups are just wonderful for cleans Mike ...

Plus the Lace Sensors ..
    the New & the older golds are super for keeping things articulate & clean

7. fender23

fender23 Member

I got a set of Kinman Blues in my '57 MIJ, I like 'em.

8. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I play into all 3 Reverend amps. Lace Hot Golds are (for me, YMMV) the most expressive, singing cooeperative pups of any kind I have ever played. They are rich & sweet & full & complex. They are not pure "vintage Strat'- they are their own thing & I love 'em. They just make playing easier & more fun! They are greatly "noise reduced", not 100% quiet but noise has not been a factor for me anywhere with them.
    I just put a set of Bill Lawrence L200's into an American Deluxe. I don't have enough time in on them to give a thorough opinion but intial impressions are that they are very "vintage Strat". Smooth & glassy with great quacks in 2 & 4. TOTALLY quiet, even right in front of a TV picture tube. Great price & great people!

9. ratkent

ratkent Member

The other guitarist in my band has the Kinman Woodstocks on his American Strat and they are remarkable. He runs it through a Framus Cobra and regardless of how much gain he uses he can clean his sound up by turning his guitar's volume down or by simply playing lighter. They are unbelievably touch responsive and they sound fantastic. Thicker than a typical strat tone but not humbucking thick. I am not much of a strat guy but I am thinking of getting a guitar just to get that Kinman set.

10. stratrat2000

stratrat2000 Member

Kinmans or DiMarzio Areas.

My preference is the Kinman Woodstock Regular set - fairly powerful, but still sound very much like singlecoils. If you like more grunt at the bridge the Woodstock Plus set has a hotter bridge pickup which leans a bit more to a hotter, P90-ish tone. Very, very quiet.

11. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Lots of good choices so far, but I'll add Fender SCNs to the mix. Very "Stratty" sounding and dead quiet. The closest noiseless to real single coil tone I've tried.

12. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

I know they are not the most popular but I also like the Fender SCN's. they work very well in my HSS strat set up.

13. mmcquain

mmcquain Member

+1 - These were actually designed by Bill Lawrence for Fender and sound pretty nice IMO

14. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

+1. I've been a Lawrence noiseless pickup user for years, ever since my days working for Zion Guitars, where they were our stock pickups for quite a while. I'm in the process of swapping out for newer models, so I'll have an updated opinion to post soon. Cheers,

Rob

15. Mike T

Mike T Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll tell ya, I took a closer look at my finances and it seems I'm gonna have to settle for just a bridge pu at this point, something to go with my Bardens. The Bardens are damn good, on the dark side, but just don't seem to have a real prominant Strat profile, but they are dead quiet and pretty close so I'll hang with them a while. I need to find a bridge pu though. I measured the Bardens to have about 4 or 4.5K ohms resistance and the little 59 has about 11K. The power balance is good because it kicks up a notch or two when I go to the '59. But the crispness is not there on the 59. The '59 has a Ceramic magnet and I suspect the Bardens are Alnico because they are not at all harsh although I can't find it on his site. Anyway, I'm thinking Alnico between 7K and 9K ohms resistance, preferably on the high side to retain the power balance I like between the pu's. I'm just concerned that too much output will trounce the high end. Not that I play with a lot of high end presence, on my Reverand amp the presence is off and the treble is maybe 9 o'clock and the mid 11 o'clock, and on the Fenders I back off the treble pretty good. I just don't want such a varience like is there now. That's why terms like "P90 like" scare me, high output means more less crisp highs. So the search goes on......

16. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

I don't knonw if it has been doctor'd up but when you listen to the clips of the Kinman pickups on his site.....you will also hate the sound of the Fender SCN in comparison...He also posts a clip of the Fender SCN pups for comparison,,,again, don't know what has been done behind the scenes to make them sound so bad....but if it is on the level, then the Fender SCns are not an option in my book.