noiseless strat pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, Apr 20, 2015.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Not interested in which pickups can or cannot nail the jimi/srv tones. I'm more interested in which pickups can get a single coil vibe but sound fat enough for fusion tones too. They have to be able to sound great for funk rhythm though.

looking for something noiseless and hoping that there's been some recent tech that surpasses the fender noiseless, kinman or dimarzio area pickups. I don't need anything for hard rock and dislike super high output pickups.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Member

DiMarzio Area and Virtual Vintage pickups are great pickups that would nail it.

3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Fender Hot Noiseless. They can go from funk to hard rock with no problem. You get all of the classic Strat tones, loud and clear. I play funk/dance every weekend, and use a Wampler Dual Fusion for leads.

4. orourke

orourke Member

I put a set of Kinman pickups in one of my strats about 10 or so years ago. I got a lot of compliments on the tone, but I always felt they sounded kind of glassy. I think a slight 60 cycle hum can be the salt in the broth.

5. jzucker

looking for something noiseless and hoping that there's been some recent tech that surpasses the fender noiseless, kinman or dimarzio area pickups. I don't need anything for hard rock and dislike super high output pickups.

6. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Lace Holy Grails will get you where you want to go.
    Excellent, underrated pickup.

7. jzucker

who's making the diagonal coil pickups now? I know fralin makes some? There's another company too that I've heard good things about.

8. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

My Injector/67/61 can do it. I have had success with Silver Lace pickups also.

9. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Zexcoil?

10. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Member

I don't know if it surpasses, but Lace Alumitones are as new as they get, and they're noiseless.

11. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

The Zexcoils I've heard (online) always sounded pretty good.

12. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Member

I love the Lace Hot Gold set. Wonderful pickups that can cop both vintage and modern tone very well. Takes drive well too.

13. c_mac

c_mac Member

My flame suit is on, here it goes - EMG S pickups. Not the SAs or the Gilmour setup, the S set (I've tried the SAs in the past and I find them a bit too dark). I'm a total single coil guy down my core, I only use single coils in everything I do. These pickups floored me with how good they sound. Plus, Vince Gill plays his black Strat with an EMG S set right next to his '53 Tele, I think that speaks volumes that he goes back and forth.

Guitarwiz007 likes this.
  14. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Ok, nevermind then. I thought I was sharing my experience with those pickups with you, seeing as they matched exactly what you originally asked. They can absolutely sound great doing fusion, IMO, as well as funk, hard rock, etc. If you've already tried them and know you don't like them, my apologies. I have no idea what is the latest/greatest tech.

15. doveman

doveman Member

Ilitch coils ... Use whatever kind of single coils you like. I have a set of Allen Big Cats ... normal RSRP set and a Superswitch. Ilitch coil enabled on 1-3-5 regular RSRP on 2-4 with Ilitch disabled. I also have Fender OV set on my Tele with Ilitch pickguard. I haven't searched for new single coils in years. I put a micro-switch on the Tele just in case I want to go with hum but it sounds great noiseless.

16. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I would have to agree to these. The online clips sound great. Just gotta get past the look. I am on the fence about trying some of these. He has so many options. You should contact him.

17. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    Zexcoils are excellent. As another option, I'm having a Strat-like guitar built with the Duncan Everything Axe set, but technically those are single-coil sized humbuckers. Still, they are like a fat sounding single coil, at least to me. On the much less expensive side, GFS has noiseless singles, but I believe you have to route out a little deeper to get them to fit. Have heard good things, but have never played them.

18. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Agree with moosewayne that the Lace Holy Grail set will be very straty sounding w/no hum - they are very underrated and also have pole pieces so they look normal if that makes a diff. (as opposed to the Lace pickups with no pole pieces like the Hot Golds mentioned above). But Doveman is spot on with the Ilitch Silent Single Coil system - http://www.ilitchelectronics.com - check them out - I've used the Back Plate Silent Single Coil System on a couple of Fender Strats and now have two Suhr's, a S-Classic SSS and a chambered T-classic w/2XP90's, both are dead quiet, both have real single coils and have the SSC built in. the Ilitch system is your only true, no-comprimise single coil tone hum elimination solution. Suhr had licensed the system from Ilitch years back when he first marketed Silent Single Coil solutions. Suhr has since developed his own proprietary silent single coil system and it's not available for aftermarket install as of yet, but you can check with them in case that has changed. You can get an Ilitch made Back Plate SSC from Fralin, or contact Ilitch direct, for a self install kit or send your guitar to them and they'll do it. Truly no difference in your single coil pickup tone, just no hum - once you go Silent Single Coil, no stacked single coil pickups will sound as good. Good Hunting.

19. gtwannabe

gtwannabe Member

Joe Barden Strat pick-ups are the best noiseless that I have heard or owned, but I have not tried many of those that others have mentioned. Amazing pick-ups.

20. fretwhizzy

fretwhizzy Member

I haven't tried every alternative simply because the kinmans I have inI 3 USA strats ate working fine for me