Noiseless strat pickups?

tonemandan

Is there any love out there for any of the new noiseless strat pups? Kinmans, DiMarzio, Lace holy grails? What do you guys like or dislike? I have Eric Johnson pickups in a couple custom built Strats and I love them but would like to try something that will kill the noise.

Thanks

Dan

jamison162

Dude, they're all over the place...read on down.

If I were to buy any noiseless or otherwise, I'de be looking into the Dimarzio's.

tonemandan

Thanks Jamison162. I've had good luck with DiMarzio's in the past.

Soliciting all opinions here. If I put noiseless pups in and lose the chime and clarity of my EJ's I'll just be snatchin' em back out LOL!

Dan

Pantalooj

Is there any love out there for any of the new noiseless strat pups? Kinmans, DiMarzio, Lace holy grails? What do you guys like or dislike? I have Eric Johnson pickups in a couple custom built Strats and I love them but would like to try something that will kill the noise.

Thanks

Dan

If you just want to kill the noise and you're otherwise happy, why not get yourself a Back Plate Silent Single Coil (BPSSC) system from Suhr. I had this fitted to my Suhr Classic when it was built ... single coil pickups, no noise and no change in tone. You can retro-fit it too. I have a feeling that you need to have a non-RWRP pickup in the middle position to use it though. More here http://www.suhrguitars.com/pickups.aspx#bpssc

slegros

Why not try the Fender Vintage noiseless?? Ive got the Hot Noiseless in my JB Strat and love them. The Vintage Noiseless Id figure would be the closest thing to the EJ pickups but in a Noiseless version.

jabromusic

Silver Supporting Member
If you just want to kill the noise and you're otherwise happy, why not get yourself a Back Plate Silent Single Coil (BPSSC) system from Suhr. I had this fitted to my Suhr Classic when it was built ... single coil pickups, no noise and no change in tone. You can retro-fit it too. I have a feeling that you need to have a non-RWRP pickup in the middle position to use it though. More here http://www.suhrguitars.com/pickups.aspx#bpssc

is the BPSSC as quiet as the SSC that is built into the guitar? i think i remember reading that it wasn't as good (i could be mistaken though).

jmcorey

Silver Supporting Member
www.billlawrence.com

Clarity, and better than any Fender noiseless. Better to me than Dimarzio, Duncan, etc. Get the 280's or the 200's for all positions or the 298's for the bridge.

LReese

is the BPSSC as quiet as the SSC that is built into the guitar? i think i remember reading that it wasn't as good (i could be mistaken though).

I hear not as quiet, I don't have a Suhr with built in SSC (Yet). But it is quiet enough and I don't hear any change in tone.

I spent too much money on stacked pickups - I'm not willing to risk it again. For the money, I like the Lace Hot Golds, which are reduced noise true single coils.

jabromusic

Silver Supporting Member
i'm asking because my major purchase this year will be some kind of high end strat which i need to be completely noiseless. i remember harryj did some demos clips of the dimarzio area pickups and they sounded really good.

Pantalooj

Sorry, don't know ... but it is spookily quiet when built in. If you search on the Suhr forum you might find the answer. Or post a new thread and you might well get John Suhr or Ed Yoon answering with authority straight from the horses mouth ...

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Have you decided which brand to buy? Check out Anderson, they have my favorite "noiseless" single-coil sized pickups.

I love the Bill Lawrence, too.

6stringjazz

Hey Dan,

I put the Suhr SSC back plate in my cheap strat, and it does work, and doesn't change the tone. The hum is 95 percent gone. You can still hear a little in some situations, but the improvement is worth it, if you want to keep the same pickups, and retain the true single coil tone. I have read somewhere that some guy said he could hear the difference with the SSC in and out of the circuit , but I can't, and I don't think most people can.

Macaroni

Kinmans are great, the new DiMarzio Areas are great, Bill Lawrence, and I just replaced my Areas with Bill Lawrence USA L-250s - blades. Not exactly vintage per se, but as Strat sounding as anything else out there, and I've tried all the above.

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
I have Bill Lawrence 280's in my EC Strat made by the man himself in Corona, CA. I love 'em.

mcalldp

Another nod to the Dimarzio Area pickups. I have a 58/58/61 combo in my EJ strat and love them. I also have Area T's in my 52 reissue Tele but I am not sure about them yet, I think I like the Bill Lawrence pickups in that guitar better. They've come a long way over the years and you have a lot of great choices now.
:BEER

drzprslpnut

I put Kinmans in my MIM Strat. I think they're fantastic - especially the 7 different settings and the blend pot make them extremely versatile. I don't think you can go wrong with them. Pricey ? Maybe, but in reality you can keep them and swap them if you so desire. IMHO a great pickup. Skip

Boggs

Contact Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars. The guy flat out knows what he is doing.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom