Noiseless Telecaster Pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dodelson, Jan 16, 2008.

1. dodelson

dodelson Member

I've fallen out of love with my G&L Legacy, so I'm planning on getting a Highway 1 Telecaster to replace it (By the way, anyone want to trade?). I play indie, post-rock, and whacked-out blues. Ideally, I would like the bridge pickup to sound like a Jazzmaster - think Nels Cline with Wilco - and the neck pickup to sound like Bill Frisell. Are there any noiseless pickups that could get me there? Any advice at all is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

any pic of your g&L?

[​IMG]

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

bill and becky lawrence ALL the way.

call them and tell them what you want.

my favorite and first choice for noiseless that i want to sound vintage. . . except without the noise/hum.

4. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I`m liking my Dimarzio Hot Tele bridge and Area p/ups as well

5. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Kinman, especially the Broadcaster lead. Bill Lawrence. Haven't tried the newer Di Marzios. Their old Virtual T seemed too hot and muddy to me.

6. jzucker

jzucker Silver Supporting Member

I like the area tele pickups. I thought they sounded amazing. Better than any of the other noiseless pickups.

7. Dave

Dave Member

I just got off the phone with Becky, what a sweetheart. I ordered an L280TN and an L290TL for my Tele. They're only $48 each!

8. dodelson

dodelson Member

Thanks for all the help. Seems like I can't go wrong with a Kinman, Dimarzio, or Lawrence neck pickup, but I'm still looking for that Jazzmaster sound in the bridge.

The thought just occured to me that I could just put an authentic Jazzmaster pickup in the bridge position. Would there be any issues with this such as wiring or string spacing? Would I have to have a special pickguard made or something?

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Well I have and LOVE my Lawrence strat pickups (l-220 neck and middle, l-290 bridge) . I also have the TL-280 neck and TL-290 bridge. While I love the tone of these pickups the bridge squeals badly with heavy OD. This is a known issue with the BL tele bridge pickups and BL's fix is not very cool. He recommends getting a non-ferrous bridge for use with his pickup. There's only one outfit that makes a non ferrous vintage style tele bridge and its like $200.

Soooo...My advice for noiseless tele picups are the Dimarzio area T's which apparently have no issues with squeal and can be used with any damn bridge. For more beef from the bridge check the Dimarzio hot VV.

10. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

why dont you buy a jazzmaster ? :jo

I sold my '68 a few years ago and have really regretted it. I'm looking for one now myself

11. kidamnesiac

kidamnesiac Member

i have an extra set of SCN tele pickups. they're definitely quiet. also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that Bill Lawrence designed them for Fender...