noisey cot?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drone62, Aug 3, 2006.

1. drone62

drone62 Active Member

just got my first cot 50 on ebay.awesome tone-every thing seems to be in working order except the bias knob seems very noisey when i turn it.sean does mention that some noise will occur but since i did get it off ebay i thought id check to see how much the normal amount is.mine sounds like a very dirty volume pot.if thats par for the course thats cool. just wanted to check.any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ned

Ned Member

the bias knob on the COT50 is supposed to make a scratchy sound when you adjust it, but it should not make any noise when you have set it. if it is just making this noise when you are setting the knob then you have no problem at all that is how it is supposed to be :AOK

3. drone62

drone62 Active Member

thanks ned.thats good to here.i appreciate the response

4. utterhack

utterhack Member

Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy. Your COT is just fine.

I don't know about the COT circuit, but here's Brian Marshall's explanation of why the lower drive knob on the Liquid Sunshine makes the same scratchy noise:

"The liquid sunshine has two gain stages which are basically fet versions of tube inverters with bypass caps on the source. One of the stages has a capacitor tied to the lower drive knob. The capacitor holds a charge at all times, and the fet tries to keep its source voltage constant relative to the input (or gate) of the fet. When you turn the knob the pot acts as a variable voltage divider, and the fet does all it can to keep the source voltage the same. What you hear as a scratchy pot, is actually the capacitor charging and discharging."

I assume something similar is at work in the COT.

5. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

My COT makes the same noise, nothing to worry about. I say it sounds kind of like the Crackle noise the SHO makes in the Zvex video demo.

6. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

Drone62,

Not to worry. I just did the same thing. Bought a COT50 used and was convinced that it was a bad pot. Ended up having a conversation w/Sean and he said not to worry. He also said that if the noise bugs you when you turn the knob, play something on the guitar (like an open d to e hammer on/pull off aka hendrix/srv) as you turn te knob.:RoCkIn

7. kaseri

kaseri Member

Can someone please explain exactly what the COT is? Is it a treble booster or is it like adding another gain stage in line with your amp? Or am I way off?

8. drone62

drone62 Active Member

thanks for the help everybody.this thing is awesome.between working great with my other pedals and learning to munipulate the volume and tone knobs on my guitar im finding tonal nuiances i never knew existed!!!definately makes me want to try other lovepedals.i see an E in my future!

9. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

Prepare to have your board colonized...resistance is futile :)

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Sorry...I've just got a mental block, or else I never knew, but WHAT is a Cot? Which brand?

I assume it is a boost, like a Zvex SHO (which also has the staticy sound when moving the knob)?

OOPs...see now many others want to know. I have seen it a lot lately, just wondering.

11. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

just for reference, there was a batch of COT's with bad pots. the noise when turning was incredibly loud, and then in some locations you'd have noise when it was not being turned (kind of like a loud, scratchy wind). sean was great about fixing mine - turned it around fast & free :)