Noisy board - help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Jan 31, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I recently made a few changes to my setup - a "new" amp - a BF'd '78 Vibrolux Reverb and a reworking of my pedalboard. Since that time, my board has been REALLY noisy!

I get a popping sound whenever I engage ANY pedal, most notably my Tone Press or Eternity. The popping is even present when I engage my Analogman delay which doesn't have the typical 3PDT switch. Additionally, I get a scratching or whooshing sound whenever I manipulate any of the cables. All cables are George L's. The amp had a major service by a local, well-respected vintage-Fender tech, so I'm confident that the amp is not the cause (plus, it is pretty silent when going guitar > amp)

The pedal setup is pretty similar to what I have been using for the past year, and it was perfectly silent into my Mesa DC-3. I DID change out my MDEQ for a Doobtone Microbuffer2 (for space), add a KOTv4 and re-order the pedals, thus changing how they are powered.

It has been suggested to me that the power supply to my pedals may be the cause. I'm currently using 1 Voodoo Labs One-Spot an one Godlyke with a total of 3 daisy chains (2 on one supply and one on the other) to power the following:

RMC3
    Doobtone microbuffer2
    Tonepress
    KOTv4
    Eternity
    Blue Boy Deluxe
    Tim
    Analogman Delay
    DL4
    Tuner

Some of the power plugs are not used. I power my DejaVibe from it's own supply. Should I power the Line 6 from it's own supply? I've got the original Line 6 supply around somewhere? Should I just bite the bullet and purchase a PP2+ or Fuel Tank? How can I tell how many mA each pedal draws and how many the power supplies give?

Any other ideas as to what may be the source of my noise? I am planning on rewiring the board tonight to try and diagnose the cause, but any additional info would be great!

Brian

2. trumpus

3. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I was sort of in the same boat your in now -
    had 10 pedals, george l's cables, mixed power supplies and a horrific array of lousy sounds created by everything except my pedals.

Loud popping is from the george l's. Anytime I ever pluged something in with a GL cable it made a pop and GL isnt well protected from RFI/EMI, so aside the popping you can get telemundo!! Switched my patch cables and all of the popping and RFI/EMI went away.

The next step is getting clean isolated power - The dunlop dc brick , voodoo power and a few others have power conditioners within themselves that can elminate a great deal of noise. If you can afford it - get a furman rack power condition $100-150 and plug the pedal board and amps into that , the benefit of that is totallyl clean power to pedals & amps and a single ground. Having the single ground is nice and quiet, VS pluging into 3 outlets and getting ground hum etc.

Try to get all your pedals on 1 power supply unit.
    Id bite the bullet and get a PP2, Brick or fueltank :)

4. trumpus

Hmmm..interesting...I've been using George L's for years without problems. That being said, i'm sure the noisiness of the vintage amp accentuates the issues with the George L's!

Funny you should mention that! I left that out of my descritption, but I definately get audio and more specifically, Spanish!

Looks like I'm going to have to go with a new power supply and potentially some new cables. I guess i'll try power first since that will be less expensive!

Brian

5. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

:)

my purist rig was a 57' VOS, Marshall 18 watt and a george l cable,
    popped plugging it into the amp, cranked the amp up, picked up radio stations, change the channel by switching pickups :)