Noisy Clapton Strat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MarkBuckingham, Aug 15, 2008.

1. MarkBuckingham

MarkBuckingham Member

I have a very-early clapton strat with a bit of a noise problem...

Even with the lace sensors, I get some 60-cycle hum... Too much for my taste.

A long time ago, I put a HS-3 in the bridge position. The guitar is completely noise free with that pickup, while the two remaining lace sensors are still noisy.

So... I think I have a noise problem with the lace sensors, but they're supposed to be quiet, right?

Anyway, I'd like to fix this... I can either pull all three pickups, and put in a set of the fender hot noiseless pickups, or I could just replace the other two lace sensors with HS-1's or something.

Option #3 is pulling the pickguard AND the mid boost, and replacing the whole mess with a EMG David Gilmour set.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

laces are quieter than regular singles, but nothing's as quiet as a vertical stacked pickup, not even regular humbuckers.

3. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I had the same problem with mine, which is an old Clapton Strat from 1993. I switched the Lace Sensors out with Lollar Blackface's...night and day quieter and better. I just loved the neck too much and didn't really like the noiseless line too much...the Lollars have been a magical touch.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

lollar single coils were quieter? or did you also bag the whole active mess?

5. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I currently have the Fender Vintage noiseless pup set and they are DEAD quiet. Sound quality, I don't really know how to they compare to lace sensors or any other pup set really. But to my ears, they sound great for fender pups.

6. novawind

novawind Member

It's on my list to put together a Gilmour Strat eventually and I was debating between SCNs, Hot Noiseless, and then I guess the EMG Gilmour set. Are either of the first two good comprimises for standard Fender tones while still getting into Gilmour fuzz territory?

7. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

Check for a bad ground connection before you spend a dime on anything. You may have to resolder the ground connections. Those Laces shoulde be nice and quiet.

8. MarkBuckingham

MarkBuckingham Member

Tried that... No help. My guess is that the laces are quieter than regular single coils would be, but not compared to humbuckers.

9. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

Your guess is correct. I went through the same thing with my 2000 EC Strat. The Laces are quieter than single coils, but not as quiet as stacks, like the HS 3 you tried. I ended up using Bill Lawrence L 280's in my EC. Sounds great and is the quietest guitar I own.

10. guitarmind

guitarmind Supporting Member

I put a set of the Fender Mod Shop Bill Lawrence pickups in mine.
    Totally cut any noise. The guitar is great on stage or in the studio.