Noisy DM-2...I need a remedy!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by co-intelpro, Jan 10, 2008.

1. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I have a few delays hangin' around the house. Old Ibanez AD-80, Boss DM-2, Ibanez AD-100, Korg Space Echo SE-500, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay...I don't have any real "boutique" delay.

I use the DM-2 and RV-3 for touring. I love the squishy delays out of the DM-2, but it's such a bloody noisy pedal! Is there any way I can cut some of the noise (the chirp, which I love, is too loud)? I've heard that some older boss pedals can handle more voltage to achieve better headroom...

Also, I do use a Shredmaster/Guv'nor or Jekyll & Hyde with a fuzz (usually a french toast or ampeg scrambler) before the delay. I know that causes noise, but man something has got to change!

Anyway, I use a pedal power II for power. I would love to use the AD-80, but it requires a lot of power, and the delays are a bit too short (is there a way I could lengthen the delay of the AD-80 to be as long as the DM-2?)

Yes, I have the DM-2 with the noisier chip (3205?).

So many questions needing so many answers...

2. dbx

dbx Member

I think the stock times of the AD-80 and DM-2 were about the same 300ms...if your DM-2 is doing longer times and also noisier, maybe someone before you adjusted the internal trimmers? One thing to check out is that you're running the DM-2 off the ACA power setting for that outlet on the Pedal Power, that will give you 12 vdc to the pedal. I'm suspecting calibration on the DM-2 though...(also did you mean to type "chirp" or "chip"...if the delay is chirping, then you might need recalibration...)

3. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

i have some chirping with my rate turn past noon (counter clockwise)... who can recalibrate these guys?

4. dbx

dbx Member

Howard Davis seems to be one of the guys...I have an old DMM that needs his care:

http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/home.htm

You might drop him a line and see if he'll work on the DM-2, he has the skills and equipment for it...

5. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

6. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I meant chirp...the analogue chirpy/ringing noise of the repeats...
    OK, so, I think that the "normal" dip switch on the PP II is PSA, right? The other non-normal setting is ACA, correct? Otherwise it's the Line6 or the sag...correct (I got mine used)? I think I got it right then, since the DM2 won't even turn on when in PSA mode.

I think I need recalibration. I brought it in a while ago for just that, but I think the dude didn't bother doing anything, and just charged me. At least that's what it sounds like to me. That said, I have brought that DM2 half way around the world with me, so the pedal innards might have been knocked around a bit.

7. dbx

dbx Member

You have the power connections right...I plugged in a DM-2 (with MN3205 chip) into a PP I and futzed around to get some different delayed tones...I didn't get any chirping/ringing or extraneous noise...the fan from my PC adds a bit of white noise in my space but up close to the amp nothing audible that would stand out in the mix. There is some noise that comes in at the end of the decays but that's usual and on this particular unit is pretty low. You don't state where in the world you are but is does seem from what you describe, a recalibration is needed.

8. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I'm in Canada, but it has been banged around in a case that flew to China. It's also been across Canada, and some of the US.

I think the delay time is set a bit too long, because the delay gets noisy when the delay time is fully cranked and the repeats are higher than 12:00. However, I doubt recalibration would mean simply turning the delay time down, using the internal trim-pot. I assume allthe other trimpots would require adjusting too.

9. dbx

dbx Member

Yes...you could try it by ear but I think all three (?) trimmers have to be tweaked in conjunction to get it back "inline" properly...I don't fool with those myself, can't trust that I could get it back to sounding good once I did...good luck getting it sorted out...

10. tres

tres Member

Don't have much advice about the noise, but gotta give props for the dm-2/rv-3/guv'nor trio...I use all three and love em