• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

Noisy Echosystem?

homeunit

Supporting Member
Have any one any issues with a large hum with these units?

This is my second new one and it’s doing the same thing.

I’ve tried front, back, middle of chain. On its own, different cables and guitars. As soon as I engage it it hums like a mf.

Any advice?

Rolo

Send it to the Empress guys, they should check it and should send u a new one most likely. I like their quality products.

webs

Supporting Member
Sounds like a power issue. Haven't ever heard of a noisy one, any pedal can go bad but two in a row sounds like the problem is coming from elsewhere.

RicardoUK

How are you powering it? These big pedals need a lot of juice so make sure you're giving it 300ma direct from your power supply.

I run mine from a Zuma in stereo using a cheap ABY and don't get any buzz

homeunit

Supporting Member
How are you powering it? These big pedals need a lot of juice so make sure you're giving it 300ma direct from your power supply.

I run mine from a Zuma in stereo using a cheap ABY and don't get any buzz
you nailed it. I’m running an mxr power supply. I pulled my other pedals out of the power source and ran just the echosystem with the mxr power and it’s perfect. Thanks for the tip.

problem is I need to buy a new power supply.

husker

The vicious gear circle strikes again - you buy a new pedal, new pedal interacts negatively (and unexpectedly) with something else in your rig/signal chain; once the cause (assuming there is only one) is identified, a replacement gizmo is usually needed (your power supply in this scenario) and once purchased you are back at the start of the circle.

Sometimes I feel like sticking to my acoustic guitar and saying goodbye to electric. Just can't do it though :)

Last edited:

homeunit

Supporting Member
The vicious gear circle strikes again - you buy a new pedal, new pedal interacts negatively (and unexpectedly) with something else in your rig/signal chain; once the cause (assuming there is only one) is identified, a replacement gizno is usually needed (your power supply in this scenario) and once purchased you are back at the start of the circle.

Sometimes I feel like sticking to my acoustic guitar and saying goodbye to electric. Just can't do it though :)
you are so right. In my case I suspected that I might run into this though. All the 7-10 input power supplies were in the $300.00 range, the mxr was $175.00. At the time I couldn’t imagine running 8 pedals, but here I am running 3 od pedals 4 mod pedals and a tuner.

the question is which power supply? I started researching threads today, but in typical TGP fashion, everyone has a different opinion. Researching power supply is like researching brake pads, you got to have them, but there is no joy in buying them.

husker

the question is which power supply? I started researching threads today, but in typical TGP fashion, everyone has a different opinion. Researching power supply is like researching brake pads, you got to have them, but there is no joy in buying them.
Too many choices! What usually happens with me is that the piece of gear I really want is just too expensive for me to want to pay, so I decide to compromise and find something cheaper. Often, it doesn't work out, so I end up selling it at a loss and buying the piece of equipment I wanted in the first place...

Now I just tend to get what I want straight away (as long as it's not silly prices, like the original Klon or something), new or second hand (if possible); it's cheaper in the long run.

On power supplies, I think anything by Truetone, Cioks, Voodoo Lab, or Strymon are good choices but there are a gazillion others (as you well know).

Good luck with the search and make sure you future proof!

Last edited:

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Gold Supporting Member
TruTone CS-12, maybe?
9V at 300 mA should be a POC for the CS-12, and all its outputs are isolated... the MXR Brick's are not.
(yes, MXR ISO-brick is isolated, but not the basic Brick).

husker

The DC-7 looks fantastic.

The only thing that put me off getting this was the RCA connectors but that's only because I had a lot of standard barrel connectors and adaptors that I've accumulated over the years - but that is just me.

If I was starting again, I think I would go for the Cioks unit.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Gold Supporting Member
The DC-7 looks fantastic.

The only thing that put me off getting this was the RCA connectors but that's only because I had a lot of standard barrel connectors and adaptors that I've accumulated over the years - but that is just me.

If I was starting again, I think I would go for the Cioks unit.
As a general rule of thumb, RCA jacks/plugs are much more robust than the 2.1 and 2.5 mm barrel connectors.
More surface area.
More tightly held.
Higher current rating. (7 A for RCAs, 5A for 2.1mm barrels, in general)

Emberace the better connector... too bad we can't get it std on the pedal-end, imo.

homeunit

Supporting Member
my question is does the expansion block just subdivide the power from the dc7, or does it add full 66ma per input, thus providing 11 inputs at 660ma at 9volt?

husker

As a general rule of thumb, RCA jacks/plugs are much more robust than the 2.1 and 2.5 mm barrel connectors.
More surface area.
More tightly held.
Higher current rating. (7 A for RCAs, 5A for 2.1mm barrels, in general)

Emberace the better connector... too bad we can't get it std on the pedal-end, imo.
All good points but speaking purely from a personal perspective (IMHO, YMMV etc), I've never had a problem with the robustness of barrel connectors - cables, yes, connectors, no. I don't need anywhere near the max current ratings for the barrel connectors, let alone the RCAs.

RCAs are also larger/bulkier and space on my pedalboard is at a premium as it is. There would be absolutely no space for RCAs at the pedal end - space would not be an issue at the power supply end but I would have change its orientation, which then would have pedal and power cabling length implications.

For the time being, I see no compelling reason to change my Zuma over. Maybe when/if my Zuma conks out, I'll reconsider - as I said, if starting again from scratch, I'd probably go for the Cioks DC-7 too. It's a great unit.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Gold Supporting Member
All good points but speaking purely from a personal perspective (IMHO, YMMV etc), I've never had a problem with the robustness of barrel connectors - cables, yes, connectors, no. I don't need anywhere near the max current ratings for the barrel connectors, let alone the RCAs.

RCAs are also larger/bulkier and space on my pedalboard is at a premium as it is. There would be absolutely no space for RCAs at the pedal end - space would not be an issue at the power supply end but I would have change its orientation, which then would have pedal and power cabling length implications.

For the time being, I see no compelling reason to change my Zuma over. Maybe when/if my Zuma conks out, I'll reconsider - as I said, if starting again from scratch, I'd probably go for the Cioks DC-7 too. It's a great unit.
I agree on the Kowloon Walled Pedalboard aspect ... in tight spaces, traditional straight-in RCAs wouldn't be well-received on the pedal-end of the cord.

Now, if someone stretched the envelope and came up with a right-angle RCA (or double-RA, making a "Z" that would minimize strain-relief issues), then I'd bet the objections would drop away a bit.

I've seen quite a few 2.1 power-ins that have small areas of corrosion products, indicating a localized contact area (as opposed to a uniform surface-area contact). I've found these most often on pedals that I've bought used from folks who live in more maritime climates... out of a hundred or more pedals, probably 15 or so? The outer ring tends to hold tighter, but the pin's contact area is definitely localized...often you can see the scrapes on the plating are uneven. Perhaps it's gravity/vibration (doubtful) or maybe the effect of cramped cabling/tight tie-downs placing non-insertion-path stresses on the connector pair? I dunno. Maybe musicians just can't shove it straight in the hole?
I'll leave that to the MEs in the room.
(no, wai... no I won't.... I'm WAY too opinionated for that stance, lol).

(as an aside, I did that survey of my pedals when I had a very nice little fiber-optic camera 'on loan' from a dental manufacturer... they were looking at introducing it as a root-canal instrument that could get down in the pulp chamber and peer into canal-spaces... I don't think that one ever made it to market, for other reasons, mostly ergonomic, for me. Too "heel-of-the-hand-heavy", for me... wand-shaped tools can be fatiguing, especially if the working end is a fragile, tiny extension and it's working in cramped spaces... but that's another discussion entirely).

Now... Can we fit the RA-RCA between a couple RA 1/4 inch jacks on TOP a mini-enclosure?
Pro-bab-ly NOT, lol.

Last edited: