• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Noisy Echosystem?

husker

I think you're right about the RA connectors and I'd be very happy to change as pedalboard space is so often a problem. Interesting too about the corrosion you found in those pedals. As

I'm heading for the dentist tomorrow, so I won't think too much about the instrumentation!

Maybe musicians just can't shove it straight in the hole?
I couldn't read that sentence and keep a straight face. As I often say in these unintentional innuendo situations, "life isn't a Carry On film".

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the cioks.
Before you spend that kind of money, wire up twp battery snaps in parallel and on the other end wire in a 2.1 mm barrel connector. Try it on the unit. If there's no pop, then it might be the old PSU.
If it DOES pop w/the batteries, then you know its in the pedal, amp, guitar, or wiring.
It'd be a real shame to pay for a perfectly good CIOKS, try it and verify the pop, the send it back to the retailer and force yet another Open-Box Special.

homeunit

Before you spend that kind of money, wire up twp battery snaps in parallel and on the other end wire in a 2.1 mm barrel connector. Try it on the unit. If there's no pop, then it might be the old PSU.
If it DOES pop w/the batteries, then you know its in the pedal, amp, guitar, or wiring.
It'd be a real shame to pay for a perfectly good CIOKS, try it and verify the pop, the send it back to the retailer and force yet another Open-Box Special.
I may be missing something. Here's the sequence of events,
- bought new echosystem
- put at end of effects chain powered by MXR non iso brick
- nasty hum
- pulled all other effects out of chain, (still powered by MXR)
- nasty hum persists
- Tried all new cables
- nasty hum
- different guitar
- nasty hum
- relocated any lights that may interfere
- nasty hum
- talked to guitar shop I bought it from - they suggested swapping it for another new unit - did that
- plugged in new unit
- nasty hum
- started thread here and it was suggested a power issue.
- unhooked all pedals except Echosystem from MXR power supply.
- issue fixed, no nasty hum
- researched a fair bit on internet - non isolated and lack of power seems to be the issue.
- Cioks DC7 provides both isolation and more than double the power requirements to run all my pedal, (daisy chain a few analog ones for space).

Am I missing something? thanks in advance

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
I may be missing something. Here's the sequence of events,
- bought new echosystem
- put at end of effects chain powered by MXR non iso brick
- nasty hum
- pulled all other effects out of chain, (still powered by MXR)
- nasty hum persists
- Tried all new cables
- nasty hum
- different guitar
- nasty hum
- relocated any lights that may interfere
- nasty hum
- talked to guitar shop I bought it from - they suggested swapping it for another new unit - did that
- plugged in new unit
- nasty hum
- started thread here and it was suggested a power issue.
- unhooked all pedals except Echosystem from MXR power supply.
- issue fixed, no nasty hum
- researched a fair bit on internet - non isolated and lack of power seems to be the issue.
- Cioks DC7 provides both isolation and more than double the power requirements to run all my pedal, (daisy chain a few analog ones for space).

Am I missing something? thanks in advance
Nope, you've gone through most all of the right paces.

BUT, before spending money on that new PSU, a simple check with THE most isolated supply (a couple 9 volt batts) will verify that a good, clean, isolated power source would solve the problem.... the batteries are a troubleshooting technique, not an answer to how to power the unit long term.
A couple fresh 9 volt batteries should be able to supply 150 mA each for at least 15 minutes... long enough to verify that the hum is gone.

Trending Topics