Noisy fulltone '70

so I got a second hand fulltone '70 fuzz and I like the sound.. very much.
but theres a catch..

it farts out a sound as I turn the fuzz knob higher, it doesn't scratch or anything it just sounds like a tight, endless fart.
if I play some notes on the lower strings you can't hear it but the high notes shine out a fart.

the thing is basically unusable past 3 o'clock. and if I turn the fuzz all the way up and turn up the mids knob it starts screeching.

any idea of whats wrong or how to fix it?

and yes.. I've been googlin' like a mother****er

and here's the clip

Last edited:

itkindaworks

What are you using to power it? Fresh battery(try one)? Maybe try adjusting the internal bias trim. Keep in mind also, it's supposed to sound weird with the fuzz at full tilt.

What are you using to power it? Fresh battery(try one)? Maybe try adjusting the internal bias trim. Keep in mind also, it's supposed to sound weird with the fuzz at full tilt.

tried it first with a battery and the same thing happened (was a old one though)
then plugged in some behringer adapter that works perfectly with my boss pedals and any other pedal I have.

then I tried the bias trim and it didn't change the farting, so I just put it to a good spot and closed the thing.

and I know fuzz pedals aren't really supposed to be silent at full boost but this is ridiculous.

ok, so I plugged it in one more time and just noticed that if I turn either the volume knob or the tone knob in the guitar all the way down the farting gets louder and darker but not if I take the cable out.

something wrong with something else?

RBfan

Hate to say this, but sounds like the pedal has problems. I have one - older bigger box version. Not that old, but not the new out he has out. In the instructions he says you may hear some scratching when adjusting the Fuzz or Mids (maybe Volume) pots, but it sounds like what you're hearing is a LOT more than scratching.

It's a vicious pedal that takes some tweaking & getting used to, but I think yours may have some kind of problem - I never hear what you're describing when I use it.

T

itkindaworks

Here's what Fuller says about the '70.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] "If you put the "Fuzz" on 10 you will rip, and you might get all sorts of oscillation and weirdness...but that's Rock[/FONT]"

So try backing off the fuzz knob and see what happens.

RBfan

Oh yeah, & when I roll the volume knob on the guitar all the way down (to off, basically) I get a radio station. NPR once, a Spanish language one another time. Still, I love this fuzz pedal.

T

Here's what Fuller says about the '70.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] "If you put the "Fuzz" on 10 you will rip, and you might get all sorts of oscillation and weirdness...but that's Rock[/FONT]"

So try backing off the fuzz knob and see what happens.

did that and thats just not enough fuzz :huh

but the farting is still there but lower

as I said.. its basically unusable past 2-3 o'clock

CharlieK

I've got 2 Fulltone 70s but no farting. Question: Have you adjusted the volume and mids? I ask because one of mine goes into a high pitched oscillation if the fuzz and volume are both cranked.

I've got 2 Fulltone 70s but no farting. Question: Have you adjusted the volume and mids? I ask because one of mine goes into a high pitched oscillation if the fuzz and volume are both cranked.

to be true I didn't know what oscillation was until I googled it 5 minutes ago
english in not my native language so...

but if I crank the volume and fuzz all the way but keep the mids all the way down it just farts a lot,
as I said its unusable, its like when you turn a radio station a little more than slightly off. But if I mess with the mids it really goes into oscillation as you said..

Without a clip there's no real way to tell, but this sounds a little like what happens with my Axis fuzz (silicone also) if I don't have the cable plugged in all the way. You probably have your cable in but I'm saying this might be an input jack issue and nothing more. Got to email Fulltone brotha.

Without a clip there's no real way to tell, but this sounds a little like what happens with my Axis fuzz (silicone also) if I don't have the cable plugged in all the way. You probably have your cable in but I'm saying this might be an input jack issue and nothing more. Got to email Fulltone brotha.

I'll throw in a clip tomorrow

and write a email to fulltone tonight.

CharlieK

There's definitely something wrong with your pedal. I would contact Fulltone tech support via email. I had a problem with one of my Fullone pedals and they fixed it for me very quickly. I don't think they're open on Fridays so if you email today, don't expect a reply until Monday.

There's definitely something wrong with your pedal. I would contact Fulltone tech support via email. I had a problem with one of my Fullone pedals and they fixed it for me very quickly. I don't think they're open on Fridays so if you email today, don't expect a reply until Monday.

sent a mail yesterday so its a long wait until Monday.

anyone had this problem with the '70?

RBfan

To OP:

I just spent a few minutes noodling & trying to recreate what you did in the video you posted. I don't get sounds anything like that, even with the volume knob all the way up. I do get radio stations, top 40 this time, but no farting.

I generally play with the volume knob only around 8-9:00 (bedroom player) & fuzz all the way up, Mids pretty high depending upon amp. I do hear some noise when adjusting the knobs, especially when the volume is up, but that seems to be OK according to what Fuller writes in the instructions & it stops when you stop adjusting.

Doesn't really help you much, but I'm pretty sure it's your pedal - I don't think it should act this way.

T

Trending Topics

Top Bottom