Noisy springs on my Suhr

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by per erik, Jun 19, 2008.

1. per erik

per erik Member

Hello.
    I have a lovely Suhr pro as my main guitar,but the springs makes a squeeking sound when I am using the tremolo.I hoped this was only a temporarely problem when the guitar was new,but unfortunately not,this is kind of annoying at low volume and clean amp settings.I hope someone out there can help sort this problem out.
    Thanks Per Erik

2. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

Trem springs sometimes do this depending on the tension placed on them. Sometimes re-adjusting the trem claw with an additional spring will solve it. Was the guitar recently set up with heavier strings than factory? If that happened and the claw was just cranked, then those springs will "Sing" because they are stretched out trying to hold the additional string tension. Or, was the claw cranked to stop any trem "Float"? In either case, one additional spring and relaxing the claw position will solve this.

The stretched out springs are singing......

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  3. per erik

per erik Member

Thanks for quick response,I have always used 10-46 strings on the guitar ,different brand though.The guitar is set up exactly as new.I will try to put on a additional spring and relaxing the claw position to see if that will solve the problem.Thanks from the fjords of Norway!
    Per Erik

4. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Perhaps a little lubrication is in order, I experienced the same problem as you but on a different guitar. It was a EJ Strat, what I did in the end was to apply some lube to the points where the springs hooked on the trem block. In the end problem solved!

5. per erik

per erik Member

Hi Bluepowder.
    What kind of lubricant do you have in mind?
    Per Erik

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

:agree

Lube the contact points.

Also, I use heat shrink tube to wrap the whole spring. Just heat the tube so it's wrapping the spring but not tightly.

This will mute any noise that may be there from the springs.

7. DavidH

DavidH Member

Anything should do really.Some oil,or some wax chain lube from a cycle shop is probably best because it stays put.

8. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I agree with DavidH, use something that sticks. I used Chapstick, or just regular lip balm or even a little bit of vaseline. :D

The heat shrink idea sounds pretty cool, but sometimes, I have to admit I enjoy the natural "reverb" that trem springs provide. Though it can be a little noise too.

9. diego

diego Member

I've cut a piece of a sponge and put it between trem springs and the body to quiet them down.

10. Luke

Luke Senior Member

The perfect foam from this comes from the Seymour Duncan humbucker packaging.

11. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I use the closed cell foam that is used to seal windows, but only on my noisy guitars.

12. aron

aron Member

If you look, the Suhr spring has foam inside it.

13. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

One of my Suhrs arrived with this very type of foam under the springs.

14. diego

diego Member

We gear pagers are smart.

15. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Any body got pics of this?

I used to put cotton in the trem springs to quiet all that down, but it didn't take long to realize that this was causing some major tuning issues for my customers. Anything inside, around or touching the springs can interfere with the "zero" point and tuning stability.

16. JJGray

JJGray Member

Just a curious question. Are you the original owner of your Suhr Pro?

Although I don't own a Pro, I do own nine Suhr Standards and Moderns, and every one of them already have pre-cut sponges inserted into the core of the springs, and they're dead quiet.

If you aren't the original owner, and your springs do not have sponges inside them, I'd bet the the original owner swapped out the springs. Just my two cents.

John

17. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Dont change anything on the setup!

Contact us directly we can get rid of it for you
    A little Vaseline smeared on the springs and a very small drop of 3in1 oil anyplace metal contacts metal.
    It could be in the nut as well so keep some pencil lead in the nut slots and make sure you can pull the string straight out of the nut slot without feeling a pinch. Let me know how it works out and dont hesitate to contact me directly, PM or Email or call !

18. amc

amc Member

we are very lucky here at tgp that john suhr and many other builders respond to these
    issues right here online..........

19. baimun

baimun Member

I was just commenting the other day about this particular page on this website being my favorite on the web because of all the unique, innovative luthiers all posting.

It's one thing to get feedback from a site dedicated to one maker, but some can take on a fervor that any conversation, comparison, or (God forbid) a criticism is shot down as heritical blasphemy.

This is great open forum for discussing ideas, tips, and views particularly for an amature like me who exists in the grey area between guitar "assembler" and "budding luthier".:BEER

20. Sikor

Sikor Member

Not necessarily. I have got my S3 half year ago new and my guitar does not havy any sponges inside the springs.
    I am thinking now about putting some inside.