• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Nolatone June Bug Update

Nolatone Ampworks

Platinum Supporting Member
Thought I'd update you on the June Bug as some of you had expressed interest.

I've got the circuit dialed in but I AM stepping up the output tranny to a beefier unit. I just feel like the little 5 watter is leaving too much of the gain channel on the table.

I've managed to squeeze 3 cascaded gain stages into this design (still using only 2 12AX7's. It's a 2 channel affair, switchable from the control panel, the clean channel being as pristine as the early small tweeds (based on the Tweed Princeton), but the gain channel just screams, all the way up to classic metal! The clean channel will be very satisfying. I'm not jeopardizing it for the gain channel as many designs seem to do.

This turned out to be a 4 knob amp, the tone control is shared, as well as the master volume, which acts as the clean channels only volume control.
The gain channel has two more gain controls. One is the main gain control that can dial the channel completely off. This stage is voiced with more beef than the last gain stage, which is voiced for more edge, and the other control allows you to dial the desired amount of that edge in.

Pretty versatile for a minimal setup I think.

The cabinet is the same dimensions as a 5E3, but it's a 1x10 with an adapater ring. It ships with a 10" mounted to the adapter ring that is mounted to the 12" mounting points. This allows you to unbolt the adapter, pulling 10" and adapter out in one piece and bolt in your favorite 12" speaker.

Cabinet also has the "signature" Nolatone "V" cosmetic. Here's a pic of the first unit:

Looks like we're using that color scheme for the Chimey Limey though (think Watkins Dominator), so I'm trying Silver and Ivory to see how that works. The other scheme in my head is red and ivory.

I'm still on track for this to street for $1099.

Cabinets and chassis' in production, so I'm expecting the first units to be ready to ship this month.

goodwillsteve

Will the channels be footswitchable by any chance? that would put it over the edge for me... looks and sounds like a sweet design... I LOVE the convertible baffle design, LOVE IT... I've always wanted an amp that could do that.

Nolatone Ampworks

Platinum Supporting Member
Will the channels be footswitchable by any chance? that would put it over the edge for me... looks and sounds like a sweet design... I LOVE the convertible baffle design, LOVE IT... I've always wanted an amp that could do that.
Well, to make them footswitchable I'd have to use relays in the audio path and I don't want to do that for purist reasons, and also that would add cost to the amp.

The thoughts were that the high gain channel would be more of a practice/studio thing, not being a problem to reach down and switch channels. The amp would work well in a low volume live environment but based on my own experience with it, the most useful config live in a setting it's likely to be used in will be clean channel plus pedals if needed.

I could offer the footswitchable thing as an option, though it will be getting tight in that chassis. I believe it's easily doable though.

Also, thanks for the kind words about the covertible cab. I like that idea too :)

Last edited:

Trending Topics