Nolatone's "22-Tango"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GillBilly, Feb 19, 2009.

1. GillBilly

GillBilly Member

I have been a player here in Nashville for almost 20 years now. I have played thru ALOT of amps in that time and I recently started doing a blues jam here in town and we needed a second amp on stage. I work for a custom cabinet shop called "Mather Custom Cabinets". (www.Mathercab.com) We built a cab for a company in Atlanta called "Nolatone" (www.Nolatone.com) and Paul Sanders (the proprieter of Nolatone) heard that we needed an amp and offered to ship us one of his for the blues jam. He told me about the "22-Tango" and that it was a 22-watt amp. Now we all know how loud blues jams can get, so I told him that I would need to hear it before I took it to the jam to see if it would be loud enough for the jam. I was astounded by this amp from the very first note I played. Just INCREDIBLE tone from the start. I took it to the jam and let about, oh let me see, 7 or 8 of my buds here in town play thru it and they ALL loved it too. Kudos to Paul and his "creation". (And, as I said, I have been playin' guitar here in Nashvile for almost 20 years)
    The "22-Tango" is an AWESOME amp and Mr. Paul Sanders is an AWESOME dude who is not only very gracious for allowing us to use his "creation" but he also builds some "KICK-ASS" amplifiers. If you get a chance, checkout his website and give his amps a listen. You WON"T be dissapointed I assure you.

Peace and God Bless...................

Gary ("G") Gill............

2. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

Welcome aboard, and yes, Paul's 22 Tango is a killer amp... :AOK

3. empty71

empty71 Member

Posts like these ain't helping me or my wallet :p How does the 22 Tango compare tonally to say a DDRI?

4. GillBilly

GillBilly Member

I really can't answer your question empty 71 because I don't know what a "DDRI" is. Maybe you can talk with Paul at Nolatone and he can provide some info for you.

Peace and God Bless.......................

"G"................................

5. catherinef

catherinef Member

If I had the cash, I would hope to own one of Paul's amps by now. Whether it be the Nolatone 22 or Limey 15 (sorry, Paul, if I botched the name of either).

Paul is a top-notch artisan who makes a top-notch product. Perhaps even more importantly, a true gentleman to boot.

Pretty rare combination to find in this day and age.

We need more like him!

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I agree- both the Tango 22 and the Chimey Limey sound great.

I can't wait to actually PLAY through one!

Thanks Gary, and welcome to TGP, Dana O.

7. empty71

empty71 Member

Cool G :)

DRRI refers to the Fender Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue ;) It took me a while to wise up to all these acronyms :)

8. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the props Gary. That Jam is the best I've ever seen. Serious pro players, mega quality music!

I'm going to indulge in a hats off to Gary. Hope you don't mind!

Gary had a stroke a few years back and lost all function of his left side and was told he would never play guitar again. Being a professional player for his entire adult life, this was a devistating turn of events. Through lot's of physical therapy, patience, and just plain hard work, he's back on stage and sounding incredible. He's had to mentally train his hands to work again, from scratch, but the tone is definately still in those hands!

I'm honored to put one of my amps in Gary's hands.

9. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Wow!!!! :eek:

Welcome aboard Gary.

An amazing story of perseverance and courage. My hats off to you, sir...:bow

And now I'm GAS'n for a Nolatone...:jo

10. GillBilly

GillBilly Member

Thank you Paul and Csapo for the kind words. My stroke was pretty severe (so the doctors tell me) but by the grace of God and ALOT of brother musicians here in Nashville I'm proud to say that my left hand lives once again. Not as much strength as before but I'm still working on that. Just glad to be alive and be part of the Nashville music "scene" again. Paul's "22-Tango" has sparked a renewed interest in playing for me because it seems to make it easier for me to just relax and do what comes naturally to me knowing that I'm gonna have GREAT tone no matter what. I was very serious in my earlier post when I said that Paul has a TOP-QUALITY product and I am honored to be playin' thru it.

Peace and God Bless you both..............

"G"..............................

11. mlynn02

mlynn02 Supporting Member

haven't gotten to play the nolatone yet, but paul's a stand up guy. done a couple deals with him over the years.

i've been really enjoying the divided by 13 FTR he sold me a few months back. i gotta think the 22-tango must be a real screamer if he was willing to part with the D13!!

hey paul, best of luck and i can't wait to check out one of your amps soon!

12. Nolatone Ampworks

Glad you're enjoying your FTR. It's a great amp, just didn't have call for it.

You can check out Nolatone at the N. Druid Hills Guitar Center now.

Right now I'm retrofitting the one Tango they have with tube rectifier (now standard on the Tango). I should have it back down there today or tomorrow.

They will also have the Chimey Limey and June Bug once I get those released.

Cheers,

Paul

13. based on the videos i watched on the nolatone website, the amp sounds very nice.
    i too am looking for a fairly low wattage amp with GREAT cleans.
    that is something that is SO OVERLOOKED THESE DAYS..........everyone is all about power tube distortion and preamp distortion.............i mean, nobody cares about cleans it seems.
    and by nobody, i mean a lot of amp designers.
    given that there are SO many great overdrive and distortion pedals available, having onboard drive on an amp seems kind of unnecessary.
    anyway.
    on to my question............has anyone tried a celestion gold in the Tango?
    Paul?
    Anyone?
    i bet it would sound killer.

14. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

What's the general voicing on the Tango? After reading that GP review the other day, they said "it sounded like it had 6L6's instead of 6V6's... more beef, more headrom." Just wondering if it's more Blackface, or tweed, or brown/transitional?

(not trying to diminish your product in anyway by comparing to standard Fender archetypes, just curious as to what the Tango's tone is "inspired by"... in the review I had visions of a "Baby Blonde Bassman" type of tone... :) )

15. Nolatone Ampworks

I have not tried a gold in the amp, but I would expect it to sound GREAT.

16. Nolatone Ampworks

Funny thing about the Tango, I didn't really go for any specific voicing. When I designed it I was going for maximum clean headroom from a pair of 6V6's but I didn't want to limit myself to the usual choices which would have lead it to a certain voicing.

That's why it's fixed bias, and it originally started with a solid state rectifier, but I changed to tube rec after hearing it when a customer special ordered it with a GZ34. It rounded off the tone nicely, so I made it standard with switchable diode rec.

Back to the beginning, I started by building a stock 5E3, and I observed closely how it reacted to different settings and experimented with it to learn what was between it's stock state (which most of us love in itself!), and the higher headroom I was going for.

Right away I zeroed in on transformers and went to work with the good people at Mercury Magnetics. We came up with a higher power rated output tranny that matches properly with 6V6s. And at the same time twisted it a bit and based it on the Radiospares unit used in the Bluesbreaker Marshall amps, so the Tango when pushed has a definate JTM45 type of vibe going on.

I found with a juicier power supply I could get better responsiveness out of this design, but at the same time, if I over filtered it or used a choke, it stiffened the feel up, which I didn't like. I wanted to retain some give in the feel.

I chose a solid pine cabinet because I've long been convinced thats a bit part of the Tweed magic.

So, as for voicing, I'll tell you what different players have commented about that. I've heard a lot of references to Tweed Bassman, some Brownface references, I've heard people say it has a touch of Vox in there, I've even heard mention of HiWatt.

What I say, the cleans a huge, punchy, and swirly, and if you push the amp, it only takes a little backing off on the volume control on the guitar to get the cleans back. When you push the amp, the leads sing, and the grind is punchy and powerful.

It sits in a mix onstage like nothing else in it's power range I've heard (and that was a two year quest for me before designing this amp, clean headroom in a low power amp that cuts onstage without hurting!). It also records exceptionally well. I'm going to have some examples of this in the new future when some of the recording sessions get mixed down.

Anyhow, I could go on and on. If you have more specific questions, please fire away.

17. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

That's exactly what I've read about the 6G6 Bassman. As well as the brownface reference, since the Blonde Bassman was in the brownface era.

I've been looking for an amp that can do a Blonde Bassman type thing, but at lower wattages. The Tango has me intrigued...

18. Nolatone Ampworks

Make no mistake though, the Tango is LOUD! Probably not as loud as a Blonde Bassman though.